How did this happen???

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

It seems, that I have done such a stupendous job for my company that they have given me an all expesnse paid vacation to the Yucatan Penninsula. That's great and I'm certainly appreciative, but it is in April. Well I know I have quite a few things on order for April delivery. So I went searching through my invoices to see what delivery dates I would have to change. I HAVE 30 CLEMATIS ON ORDER!! Whoa, The internet is the worst enabler ever and DG too, since 16 of them are from the co-op :*)

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

You will be very busy. LOL. 30 Clematis WOW. We want pictures when they bloom that is going to be spectacular.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

30 Clematis and I thought I had a problem. Thank you for making me feel better :o)

A trip to the Yucatan Penninsula sounds great!!

Marie, you are very welcome LOL. I'm certainly hoping I get a few blooms to photograph as I know I will have some aching muscles this spring.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! 30 new Clematis to add to your garden! Yes, you will definitely have aching muscles, but it will be well worth it when the Clematis bloom! Which varieties will you be adding?

Please remember to grow out those 'babies' that you purchased through the Clematis Co-op PRIOR to planting in your garden. They need to be grown in a 1 gallon container until their roots are showing at the bottom. They will thrive on the same fertilizer you use on your Roses. The most important thing when growing Clematis is developing a good root system. So don't hesitate to prune them (after flowering) to encourage more shoots.

Congratulations on earning a trip to the Yucatan Pennisula. Your hard work paid off handsomely in the office and I'm sure that the same dedication to your garden will have you reaping its rewards very soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

The list is
Anna Louise
Bonanza
Bourbon :)
Actic Queen
Avant-Garde
Comtesse de Bouchaud
Consort
Doctor Ruppel
Duchess of Edinburgh
Enest Markham
Sieboldi
General Sikorski
Huldine
John Huxtable
Miss Bateman
Negritianki
Niobe
Perle d'Azur
Radiance
Rhapsody
Rooguchi
Rosemoor
Sialia
The President
Venosa Violacea
Viola
Virginiana actually it's a little over 30 since I ordered at least 2 of some on the co-op. Potting up the co-ops will be a bit of back relief :~) I know that last year the smaller roses got potted up and took about 4-6 weeks to reach planting in the ground size. Are Clematis about the same or a bit longer in the pot?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that is a great list!!! Where did you order from? Where are you planting all of these?

Woo Hoo! Very impressive list of Clematis! You're going to have so many beauties!

When you get your 'babies' from the co-op, re-pot them in a 1 gallon container with well amended potting soil. I also like to add some bone meal to the soil, which helps to develop a nice healthy root system. Keep them watered and don't let them dry out during the Summer. Personally, I would grow them in containers until the Fall. Since we both live in the same growing zone and our temperatures & growing conditions are very similar, I have found that planting my Clematis in the Fall is actually better, because the temps are cooler, moisture is more abundant and the vines will be able to put their energy into developing a good root system before they start the bloom cycle.

Are you going to combine any of them with your beautiful Roses?

Thanks for the advice Shirley. Just so happens I recently purchased some bone meal and blood meal. At least I know now what 1 of the two can be utilized for. I plan on using about half of them for rose combos. The other half I want to train to a stockade fence. The fence is great for privacy and dog containment but rather blah to look at. Last year I bought some moulding at lowes and attached to the cross beams of the fence. The moulding is narrow enough that the clems love to put their tendrils around them and really hides the fence. Also much more cost effective than buying 20 or 30 trellises. funny thing, also, on another thread someone suggested fairweathergardens as a source for Magnolias. I went to their site and guess what else they have a nice selection of??? And this is a place I can drive to and pick up. I'll have to let you know how it is as it probably wouldn't be too far out of the way for you too, unless, of course, you've been there already. :>)

I've never bought from Fairweathergardens. I'll take a look and see what they have to offer. What size Clematis do they have? Please let me know what you think of this nursery, as it might be worth a trip!

Shirley, I'm going there next Saturday. I'll be sure to let you know how it is. The clematis are listed as 1 gallon.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Venu209, is this where you got your Clematis?

http://www.fairweathergardens.com/index.php

Looks like they have some interesting plants.

Diann

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi,

I bought a few plants from Fairweather a couple of years ago (not clematis), and I'd definitely buy from them again. The plants were healthy, very well packaged, and customer service was good.

Loretta

Ticker, I haven't gotten anything from Fairweather yet. I plan on going there Saturday and I'm sure some plants will jump right into my car. The clematis I have coming are from Silver Star, Brushwood, Chalk Hill, and Garden Crossing.
Lorreta, glad to hear of your experience with them. This will be one of those weeks that crawls along!!

Please let us know how your trip to Fairweather Gardens turns out. Happy shopping!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.