Oriole Feeders - Any luck?

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

After seeing an Oriole in our backyard last year, I set up an Oriole feeder. All summer long it irritated the hummingbirds who were trying to feed from it, but I never had an Oriole stop in for a drink.

Has anyone else had any luck getting Orioles to feed from a liquid filled feeder? Just wondered. This is a "store" photo of the type I set up..just to give everyone an idea. This feeder is about 11 inches tall-- way too big for hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by nminmd
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I have not tried this kind of feeder, but I have had good luck attracting Orioles with dishes of grape jelly. In one perfect moment, I had guests for dinner eating on my deck, and I was telling them about the Oriole feeding. Just at that moment, an adult and a juvenile landed on the dish of grape jelly, and the adult proceeded to feed grape jelly to the juvenile, as if to show off.

Susan in Minneapolis

Hebron, KY

Susan,

That is wonderful! ;-))

I've never any Orioles here, much to my dissapointment. :-((

Marilyn

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Susan- just jelly on a plate(like a saucer?) I had jelly out in a little metal cup last year but never saw any eaten. Know there were orioles around.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have been using the feeder for several years, if It goes empty they yell at me. One even came to the screen door to say "Hey! where is our food! " I did start out cutting an orange in half to see if they would stay around, then I bought the feeder. Last year I also bought them grape jelly and placed it in a lid I had hanging from a plant hanger.

They are a bit shy at first, so place the feeder out in the open till they get use to the surroundings.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Sallyg,
I took a plastic plant saucer, and drilled a few holes so if it rains, it will drain. I attached the saucer to the deck railing with small bungee cords. Then I put about 1/4 cup of grape jelly in it. I learned that cheap (generic) grape jelly isn't much liked since it has more corn syrup and less grapes, so I buy good stuff which they like. The wasps aren't attracted to grape jelly until late in summer, and by that time, the Orioles either don't seem to be around, or else they are eating other stuff , so then I quit feeding it. It does make some mess, but it is worthwhile to me.

Susan

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan, I thought I was going crazy when our Orioles didn't eat the cheap grape jelly! Glad to hear it's true and that there's a reason for it. Thanks! I just use a jar cover and bunge it to the top of one of my feeder poles. I usually put an orange half out too. Although the orange seems to attract the Orioles (maybe the color), they seem to like to eat the grape jelly better.

Thanks! it was a jar of cheap jelly that I used. the one the kids thought had something funny in it and stopped eating. shame on me, giving the birds less than the best. I'll change my plan this summer with your advice.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Saw this thread and it reminded me of another from a year or so ago when we were trying all kinds of things to get the Orioles to stay around and nest on our property!

http://temple.davesgarden.com/forums/t/468489/

Thanks for reminding me that it's about time to put out my Oriole 'lures'!

Walnut Grove, MO(Zone 6a)

I had a bunch last year - I cut oranges in half and put them on a nail that is drove in the top of a stump. Ocassionally a woodpecker will come and eat some but it seems the Orioles loved them too!!! I also put grapes in a mesh basket and put it on the stump too. They also liked them!!!

CathyB

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, I'm definately going to try all these great suggestions!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

My SIL claims she saw one here on Saturday so we put out the feeder with oranges and jelly but no luck yet.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Just a reminder for some of you who don't know....if you spray your feeders with cooking pam it will keep the bees off your feeders. I don't know about wasps, just know it works on bees. I also use shortening on the wire that the feeder hangs from to keep ants out......hope this helps.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

We have orioles migrate through this area. I have seen them drinking from the hummingbird feeder. They swing it so it tilts and the nectar flows out, then drink that.
High fructose corn syrup is very unhealthy to eat. The birds are letting your know. Sometimes cheaper isn't really cheaper in the long run.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Good to know, I will buy the better stuff, or just pick up some fruit for them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

I"ll put out oranges and jelly as well. I'll also put my feeder back up and see what happens! Thanks for the great suggestions.

We just cut down a norway maple. I saved some branch sections; I plan to nail a plastic lid on the end and 'plant' it in the garden as a little platform for jelly or fruit.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Yahoooo, two orioles today. I took the pic thru my window, so it isn't that good. Once they have been here awhile they will get use to me, and then I can go outside without scarring them away.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Marlton, NJ

Congrats better!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.