Fertilizer of Choice?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I was wondering what all of you use during the growing season to fertilize your Ams? I used Miracle-Gro bloom booster last year. I don't have any qualms with it, just wonder if there's anything better. I look at all your beautiful blooms and want to know what YOU use?!

GH

I use the same in a weak solution in each watering, along with a bit of superthrive. One thing that works really well for me is potting up with some worm castings in the soil, or adding a layer to the top of the soil in ones that aren't being repotted. I may be imagining it, but it really does seem to make a difference.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 4:54 PM

I use 10-10-10 on everything it seems to work for me.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I use 1/4 to 1/2 strength Miracle Grow for everything. A 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 would be just as effective I believe.

Tom

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I have used 20-20-20 in the past as well as 15-30-15 before and during blooming.

However, this year, after reading discussion of bulbous plants' needs, I have switched to Mir-Gro's 24-8-16 which is very nearly the proportions mentioned.

Hippeastrums are hungry feeders, so I feed a diluted solution with every watering. Good nutrition seems to be the most influential factor in repeat blooming and should be a part of regular cultivation practices.

R.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.