What medium for xeriscape plants?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I plan on doing some containers with drought-tolerant flowers. What medium has the best drainage? Tamara

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Why not build your own from easy to find ingredients? About $20 (before additives) will buy you enough ingredients to build about 125 lbs of the soil shown. I grow all my houseplants and succulents in it.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Al, you mean $20.10. You left out the dime!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

;o) ..... and the extra $.10 would be for .....? ;o)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You tell us - it's in your pot!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

So, what are the ingredients? Or do I have to guess? *wink* TAmara

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Go to the sticky at the top...it will explain it to you!!!;o)

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, DUH! I had read that sticky (excellent, by the way), and forgot that tapla had written it. Thanks for the info! That's what I'll do. So, are those blends good for all containers? I didn't know if their would be different ones for those plants who like it consistently moist vs. those who hate wet feet. Tamara

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

You'll really like it once you try it!!!I know I do!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The pic above is quite different from the mix recipe in the thread. What the picture shows is equal parts by volume of screened pine bark, Turface, and crushed granite. It will not compact and the soil will retain its structure indefinitely. The only drawback to using this soil for houseplants is that you'll need to water (and fertilize) more frequently than you're used to - not such an important issue for cacti or succulents.

This picture shows Turface and crushed granite at the left and right, respectively. Disregard the soil at the top - it is what I built in my raised beds and would hold too much water in containers.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.