Lotus in a Pepsi Bottle Part 2

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Mike look at this LOL

Thumbnail by phicks
Victoria BC, Canada(Zone 9a)

Ok you have to explain this for me. I am sure Mike is going to be green with envie. Did you just drop a Lotus seed in the pepsie bottle to germinate? Did you nick the seed? What will you do with it when it is too big. Do you have to pot it up at some point for the pond? I have some lotus seeds so I have got to know.
Mike don't let him make you feel bad cause I am jealous too:)

Bra

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I can answer what i know... but take with a pinch of salt cause it died not long ago.

You basically sand the seed untill you can see the inner seed coat (its a bit like a white ring that appears)
Then plop them in water keep them warm, and in about a day the seed swells.After 7 days you will get a shoot come out.
Keep the water fresh. After another 7 days the leaf will be about 12 inches long and starts to uncurl.
I got 4 leaves...... then....... DEATH

It might have been lack of light as i'm so far north for them, so they died back for winter before it had chance to grow a tuber.

Paul has a better climate than me... but most of the things he grows i try... I offered to swap houses with him but i think hes staying put! lol

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Gee MIke thanks now i know what am doing wrong lol

I'll tell you what your doing wrong Paul....... not swapping houses with me...

Seriously though Paul is that close enough?

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

yup except i dont change the water and if i add any i use water thats sat for 24 hours

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much for the info. I have about 30 Tropical Lotus seeds to sprout and 1000 American Lotus. Don't ask and I won't have to lie!!! lol lol
Judy

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

what coulr are the american Lotus?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Hey Paul,

I don't know. But from all I've read there doesn't seem to be but one color of them which is white, or maybe it's an off white. .

Judy

Phicks and Mike... I have to tell ya, you to keep me in stitches. I always have to look to see who gets the last word. Just to funny:)
Thanks for all that info. I am going to sand the ones I have here and give it a try, Mike you said 4 leaves well lets see if I can beat that:) I will probably get 2 but we will see. My husband is going to think I am nuts when I tell him to hurry and drink the pepsi so I can have the bottle.

Bea

I'm envy him and he knows it! lol Rubbin my face in it with his lovely garden. heheh

How you gonna sand 1'000 lotus? I'd love to know where your gonna put them all but maybe i don't want to know.

Mike

Oh my.......where will she put them all, that was Judy who had the 1000:) We will have to ask her hehe.
Oh Judy.......... Oh Judy............ where.... :)
Me I just have a bout 8 or 9 of them but....... hubby will still have to drink a heck of a lot of pepsie don't ya think:)

Phicks is in Florida no wonder he has such a lovely garden. I am jealous too. Mike last year I brought in a bunch of gingers from florida. They look like they made the winter. You and I have almost the same climate. We have many people here from England and that what they all say. We even have double decker buses with the red and white flag painted on them:)

Bea

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Here Ya Go Mike sopme MG s they arereally takeing off now

Thumbnail by phicks
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The moral to this story is don't get on eBay if you have a high fever, it's the same as being drunk. It was a dutch auction so instead of winning 1 lot of American lotus seeds, I won the whole dern auction. Somewhat of a shock to the system once I got my fever down, but DH & I have had many laughs over it and the seed pods are pretty.

One thing I was thankful for, I did not win all those expensive Philodendron I bid on at the same time. Whew!! lol lol

Judy

Oh Judy............ You must have been schocked at the time. That is so funny:) Bet you will laugh about for years to come. Good luck with them.

phicks.......... Nice morning glories!

Bea

Yeah and here are my morning glories! ....... Behind the hail stones! lol

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL some thing is wrong with your car Mike the streeing wheel is on the wrong side

Nah i turn the car inside out when i'm not using it to keep the paint clean! lol

Paul just remember we drive on the "Right" side! heheh

Hey i know the car is on the left.. but it was the best i could think of! lol

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

heres a new one Mike

Thumbnail by phicks

How many are you growing?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ten

What you going to do with all those?

Paul and Mike........... well I just spent about a half hour trying to sand one of my lotus seeds.Holy smokes are they ever hard seeds. Hubby walked by, took one look and headed for the garage. He came back with his dremel tool. Now that's the ticket I had all 8 of them done in just a minute or two. They are in my pepsi bottle. 4 are floating and 4 have sunk to the bottom.
Now is the waiting game. If mine all sprout I will be sending some pepsi to England:)

Bea

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Bea,

You go lady!!!! Did you sand or drill ?

They are on my list "to do" but it's a long list.

Judy

Mike,thanks for the info.
I have a couple of questions.
Do you use distilled water?
When it time to remove the lotus plant..do you cut the bottle down the side or just cut the top off?
Now,I need some lotus seeds...anyone have any to share :) ?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

use regular water cut the top part off the bottle after you get 4 leaves mike i give theam away paul

Judy.... I used the sanding attachment. You are gonna need one of them for sure with your lot:))))

Paul...... How long does it take them to germinate? Will they form a tuber in the first year or will it take 2?
How old is the one in the last photo you posted?

Bea

I did mine by hand, hey i must be hard! lol
How far are you sanding them? I'm only taking the very outer layer off not the whole shell.
The shell goes leathery once the water proof membrane has been breached and soaked in warm water.

Mike

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/32227/index.html this is a link to the American Lotus in the DG PlantFile, looks to be yellow.

Judy

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

about 2 weeks old it takes about ten days to sprout it will make a tuber the first year and flower in the second but i can get mine to flower in 18 mnths paul

Thats nothing Paul, I can get mine to spring into life grow leaves and die in about 3 months! lol

Mike..... you are good! hehe only 3 months huh. So when are you going to start up another pepsi bottle? I sanded just like you told me too. I took off all the brown until I had just the white circle, ball left. Did I sand too much:))

ok so I didn't do that. Just a small spot on one side until I saw a white circle show. Not much at all but they are tough and if you thought it was easy you must be too. I thought I wasn't going to have any finger prints left.

Judy ........mine came from this web site. If you need anymore try here (hehe)
http://www.floraexotica.ca/Flower-Lotus.htm
Mine is a single pink called Nelumbo nucifera, Egyptian Lotus .

Paul.....only 2 weeks that is fast. On the above website he says you can grow them as a houseplant. Is that true? I thought they were only for the pond. He also says they are prickly hmmm will have to watch out for that but then I doubt i will go in the pond with them:)

Bea

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

dont know what web site you are looking at never seen a prickly one and as far as a house plant you would have to keep it in water heres one a couple of weeks old

Thumbnail by phicks

I have one growing now. Its growing a leaf stalk but the leaf is small and curled up still.
I can see another leaf starting to come out but only just.

I bought a tall flower vase for mine (posh lotus. hehe)

I wonder if uk sand paper is different.

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL i use a Rat Tail File And Needle nose Pliers i can do one in about 2 mins or less i can do 25 canna seeds in five mins that way to

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.