Burmuda grass? How do I get rid of it?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I want to start several new beds, however the back yard is burmuda. I have read that roundup and sod cutter is the best way? Have you had any experience with getting rid of burmuda that you can share? What worked best for you?

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

you may find this information helpful: http://www.walterreeves.com/qa_display.phtml?qaID=1580

good luck

Liz

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I read that link, gliz. Boy, do they have that right!

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Malcolm Beck of Gardenville (SA) fame told me that Roundup is most effective when used in the cool part of the day. And when you use it during the cool part of the day it breaks down after its done its job. If you use it when it's really hot, it doesn't break down, but remains toxic. I think it probably works best in the cool part of the day, because it is a systemic poison and grass is likely to do more growing when it's not so hot. Systemic poisons don't work if the plant is not growing. That's my guess anyway.

There are a couple of things to be careful about. Apply when there is no wind, not even a little breeze. Apply in the cool of the day, because it vaporizes faster in the heat of the day, and the vapors can be carried to other plants, and damage them. The plants you apply it to should be actively growing, so that they will take in the chemical and transport it to their roots. And, apply it to dry plants in dry soil. When Roundup hits dry soil, it becomes inactive, but if it hits wet soil, it can be transported through the moisture to other plants, and do damage.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Good point CJ. I had not heard about applying it to dry soil. But that makes sense. If you have dew in the morning, that's not a good time to spray either, right? Because the dew would dilute the Roundup?

Hmmm.... Haven't heard anything about that. I'll check it out. (I just recently learned the thing about dry soil and wet soil....)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.