Love creeping jenny...Lysmachia??

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love the color and the trailing effect of this plant for pots. Can anyone think of other plants that would like as much water as creeping jenny to make an attractive big pot????

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Colocasia or Alocasia, Canna for tropicals. Any bog perennials, if you want to include them.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

BG, do you mean all water (as in a pond) or very very moist soil? I put my creeping jenny in a container w/ water and do absolutely nothing else to it. Anything else has been more maintenance than I care to give it. Also, if you google bog plants, pond plants, high moisture plants, etc. you'll get some ideas.

I'll have to post a pic of it here, but I bought a large container and put curly rush, some kind of ice plant and a water iris that I got from a lovely DGer in trade and that is my version of a small pond garden. Problem is: my beloved pets think this is their special watering bowl, lol. I even had a fish but kitty thought it was a snack for him, so won't repeat that mistake.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

good ideas!!!!! Either canna or Alocasia (which I already have) would make the center a beauty......now I just have to research the high moisture plants....thank you 'loverly' people!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Although I've never kept either quite that wet, I'm thinking that Torenia or Impatiens might appreciate very wet conditions and serve as good "filler" plants... ?

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

whoops, both of the ones I mentioned like some shade... any you might be going for a sunny pot...

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

although creeping jenny likes full sun, it will do fine in the shade...if i go for a variegated canna, I will make it a sun pot.....if i use Alocasia, I will go for the shade.....thanks and I love torenia, too!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Bettygail, Dmail me if you need Torenia seeds... :-)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Ivy

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

love ivy for pots, too!!!!!!!!!! thanks to dale to make things really 'real'

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

that particular variety of ivy that Dale posted has been a very good one for me in container gardening. The best, in fact.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

does anyone know the name of it.....we always get this one in south Texas in abundance...it starts out with a hint of grey and then turn yellow which I like, but don't know the name of dale's or mine.

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.