Does This Qualify As A Visitor ?

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

So far , Every one has thought of visitors as animals , birds & bugs .
I would like to think Farm Machinery , Cars , Bikes , and Old Buildings qualify ?
What do you think ?
I took this Pic. last Xmas while Country Touring . Kell

Thumbnail by ginger749
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I would love to have that old tractor.

I think we should continue our Other thread here .
The other thread is a ' Introduce yourself thread ' . OK ?
Can you re-post the pic of your old truck here Please ?

Old 78 Ford F-150 2WD. No longer with us since I totaled it in Oct 03.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Looks like 2 Church pews in the back ?
Are they from your Chapel ?

No, I wasn't a part of them then. There are railroad ties behind the truck if that is what you are talking about.

I mean the 2 white things against the cab .

You mean the paint job? It was origally red and white but we had to replace the bed. The bed of the truck is a replacement.

This was the Old house behind where the tractor was .

Thumbnail by ginger749

I don`t understand BED ?
I thought the bed was the floor of the tray back ?
There appears to be 2 white Boxea in the back .
Do you sleep in that bed .

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

pep, I think ginger is referring to what looks like one of the tool boxes that goes from side to side. Yours appears white.

Bed of the truck is what's behind the cab, ginger :o)

Hi ! terryr,
Long time no hear .
Do you have any old things / Pics to post ?
And yes you are right about the tool box .

Hi ginger....I wish I had a picture of the old 3 on the column truck that my grandpa had painted up all red, white and blue. It was the Spirit of 76. It was a 60 something Econoline. The kind that only had 2 seats with the engine in between? I thought maybe my brother would have a picture of it, but he doesn't ;(

Old things??? My husband would kill me if I posted a photo of him!

Hi Eqi ,
Glad to see you haven`t lost your touch .

No, haven't lost my touch. Just haven't been reading many new threads. I try to get to the threads on watch but have been surprised at how many old threads are being bumped so I end up reading them again. My bad!

This is a fantastic shelter of Life of another kind .

Thumbnail by ginger749

You are right! They should tow that back out to sea and sink it. It would be colonized in no time flat! You know, here at DG we are so terrestrial it isn't even funny. We often forget about the oceans that are teaming with plant life.

Check this out-
http://www.eternalreefs.com/reefs/reefs.html

Totally off topic but I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Die, get cremated, and have your cremains become part of a living reef. How cool is that! underwater habitat!

Eqi, I know you have your ups and downs ,
But are you trying to tell us something ???????

This was the garage of the same house .

Thumbnail by ginger749

Oh my, wonder what's living in there? I know a gal who had an old garage like that and she found a turkey vulture chick inside. Momma wasn't far away. I've got the photographs somewhere.

Dear Dr. Ginger, (excuse me while I stretch out on this nice comfy couch for a moment) I know that I am going to die, as will you. It's not a matter of if we will die but a matter of when we will die. You weren't planning on living to be 120 were you?

Haven't you ever thought of where your left overs are going to end up? Me, I was thinking of being cremated and having my ashes scattered in the forest preserve somewhere so my particles could look up at the stars or something. Let me tell you my Mother would be rolling in her grave over that one. Who knows what actually happens to us our left overs after we die, it's not like anyone has ever gone there and come back to report. I do believe in heaven and was sort of thinking that by the time I go, my body should pretty well be spent so why not spread it around... you know... ashes to ashes and all. I don't particularly want to be buried in a nice wooden box some where taking up space that could better be used by future generations so when I ran across that site on the net I got to thinking hmmmmmmmmm, looks good to me and leaves more space for wildlife. These people have got to be making a mint! Bet it's a lot cheaper than a traditional interment too.

Here in Aus. We are starting vertical interment .
A Bore drill comes allong and drills a hole 15 ft deep .
Then they drop the first body in , partly fill it ,
Then a second body goes in and cover that ,
Think of the space that will be saved ?
Who ever said we had to be at 0. deg to the dirt ?
Why can`t we be at 90 deg to the earth ?
Astronauts don’t lie down to sleep ?

Dr. Gingers Bill to Equilibrium .
As this is my first consultation with you .
I will wave my fee.
But don`t let it happen again .lol

I'm going to have to start carrying my camera around with me. I see barns/sheds in the condition you've posted ginger, but I never have my camera with me. There's one in particular I'd like to get a shot of before it falls over.

Equil, if hubby would kill you for posting a photo of him, why not post a photo of yourself?? All old things being equal and all...........;o)

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Oh that was below the belt..terryr....................did you ever find out the make of the old chevy left us hanging there.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I lost track of you guys somewhere, either I unwatched a thread or you started over and i forgot to watch it. I couldn`t remember where you were. Thanks 4 the invite. My neighbor has old tractors as a lawn ornament, I`ll have to get some pictures.

terryr
Good one ,and I concur ,
Lets see that Pic Eqi .........

Cindy My SIL is away for 4 days ,
So can`t ask him yet . But I will .

hellnzn11
Welcome back to the FUN crowd .
Am looking forward to some old tractors Pics .
Kell.

There are 4 Different types of plows in this Pic.
It really is a shame to see them go to such waste .
But the old farmers just won`t part with them .

Thumbnail by ginger749
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Eqi, The US Navy does it part for artificial reefs. Almost the entire class of Spruance destroyers has been sunk in the ocean. A few have been sent to foreign countries like Turkey, but most, including my ship the USS Caron DD-970, have become reefs. Sad, as they weren't that old. I think the first was built in '75. Still trying to save the USS Connolly as a museum in Great Lakes, IL area. They are now beginning to decomission the Ticonderoga cruisers, but selling those, I think. These are the ships that put the nail in the coffin of the USSR. When the world is done with my carcas, just tie some bricks to me and dump me in the ocean, so all the little fishies can have something to eat, then they can go and fertilize the ocean plants.

This Pic was taken not 50 mins Drive from our place .
Although it will take 2+ hrs to get from the car park to this spot .
Yes , I have shown other Pics. from this Climb before .

Thumbnail by ginger749
(Zone 1)

Came across this thread and noticed the topic: Gardening for Wildlife. Read through the posts and noticed the one from vadap above regarding the Navy doing it's part for artificial reefs. We have a few aritficial reef's off shore of Florida, the U.S.S. Mindanao from WW2, being the closest to where we live. I think she is the oldest artificial reef ship (intentionally sunk for sea life). My husband is a Scuba Diver and has been off shore to dive this spot a few times since we live right here in the area. I love the idea of Memorial Reef's also .... I know a few who have dispursed the ashes (cremains) of their loved ones at sea, but don't know anyone who has gone the route of the Memorial Reef burial. It is interesting though. Gardening for Sea Life!

1980 - 446 ft. USS Mindanao

The former USS Mindanao, is the oldest artificial reef ship. She rests in 85 feet of water, 11 miles northeast of Ponce inlet. She is a 446 ft. World War II, Liberty ship. Her flat main deck is 60 ft. below the surface and lies in a general N-S direction. The superstructure was removed before the sinking. The wreck suffered damage during the 1995 winter storms and the bow is now to the NW separated from the hull. Schools of bait fish, tomtate grunts, mangrove snapper, and a few anchors are often seen in her open holds. Small clumps of ivory bush coral and encrusting sponges and tunicates are growing on the steel hull.
Schools of mangrove snapper, angelfish, amberjack, barracuda and spadefish are usually on the ships and the barge. Goliath grouper, cobia, tarpon and manta rays also visit the ships.

Great information plantladylin
Thanks for that .
You see there is a Garden in the sea .

(Zone 1)

Oh yes .... I am not a diver, but my DH has told me about the beauty of the Coral Reef's and plants and Sealife under water! We have a 150 gal Marine (Salt Water) Aquarium here at home, so I get to view some of that Beauty right in my own living room. Here's a photo:

Thumbnail by plantladylin

WOW plantladylin
That really is nice .
I particularly like the yellow ones on the left .
The little Blue ones look great in a big school .
They cost about $45 Aus each .
So if you want a nice school of them it could cost in the thousands .

Have you guys heard about the tires that they threw into the oceans for years and years thnking that they would become reefs too? It didn't work so now they are dragging them all back up and if I remember correctly using them for roads and other projects. Will take a long time to get all those tires up. They are all over the world.

I hadn’t heard they were pulling them back out .

They are in some places because it is doing damage or something.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/10/03/dream_of_artificial_reefs_becomes_an_ecological_calamity/
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/southflorida/news/artificialreef2003.html

Those are just 2 sites I found searching. Incredible. Incredibly dumb it would seem.

pepper, you're doing it again!! Don't type while I am!! lol....

Yeah, it was dumb. the one good thing is they had good intentions. It just didn't go as planned and instead caused damage. I can't wait til those tires are out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.