Strange Winter

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

It has been a very mild winter up until the last couple of weeks and my plants are kind of freaking out. How about yours?

1) My two peach trees (Flordaprince & Tropic Beauty) both have flowered and set fruit. The fruit is very small and bland but the trees are also very young. 1st season in the ground.

2) I have plenty papayas both my dwarf and Hawaiian varieties.

3) My small Emperor Lychee has bloomed and has a couple very small lychees.

4) My passion fruit flowered and set fruit but many of the fruit dropped of early when we had the cold snap two weeks ago.

5) I have my first Giant Granadilla fruit this season. (See Picture)

6) My Roseygold Mango has flower and set 20+ fruit with some bigger than a golf ball. Meanwhile my two Nam Doc Mai mangoes have not even bloomed yet but the buds are swelling. My small Mallika is in a large planter and it has just started to bloom.

7) One of my bananas (Thousand Fingers) has bloomed.

I will add as I notice anything else.

Dale

Thumbnail by dwallace59
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ooh, how this made me kind of 'home sick' As little girl Western world was my dream, with many blessing dream became reality. Now, I'm happy but still long for those tropical plants that I can't have where I live, but wait.... Perhaps I can move to Florida. (The start of another dream). Thanks for sharing the pic.
Dale, here in zone 7b. I can grow the native passion flowers, they set fruits as well. We call them "May Pops" here, other hybrids Passionflowers I've to keep them in greenhouse. Except one, purple bloom I believe from Brazil withstood our climate x2 years. Spring is almost here, I'm waiting to see if this particular vine will come back.
Yes, winter is difference this year. 'tat colder in Feb. (than average). Dec. was relatively mild, Jan. was ok. But March is here, and springs flowers suddenly are found everywhere, absolutely beautiful.
Happy gardening.

Fulton, MO

Hi, Dwallace.

I have seedlings of a dwarf papaya called TR Hovey from a very generous DGer. ;-) I have about 12 of them, all growing very well in the GH. I will put a couple in the GH, a couple in large pots, and a couple in the ground, just to see how they do.

Mango 'Carrie' bloomed but did not set fruit, which is just as well, it is small yet. Mango 'Cogshall' is getting ready to bloom now.

The Lychees ('Sweetheart' and 'Brewster') both look much better than last year and the 'Sweetheart' has a great deal of new growth. I hope the chill requirement was met.

DC bananas growing well, and I'm hoping for blooms this year.

An oddball, Muntingia calabura, has blooms on it.

That's about it. Still early in the season for us.

SB

Columbus, OH

Nam Doc Mai has a bunch of bloom spikes. Hopefully I will get fruit to take. My wax jambu has several blooms going...pretty excited about that. Sugar apple leaves are starting to turn. I was wondering if they would end up losing them prior to new growth. Did a bunch of transplanting a few weeks back. Really stressed out the big tamarind. That thing has been transplanted a bunch of times and has never acted like this. Kind of worried. Same with the cacao. It doesn't look good at all. The weather is starting to break here and hopefully the warmer weather will help kick start them. I'm ready for a good spring flush on everything! Was hoping my papayas would come around as well. So far they have been a huge disappointment. The Sweetheart lychee is pushing new growth. Doesn't look like any blooms are going to happen this year. I think they would have pushed out before any new growth. I have 3 main branches on my longan. Very tall. All the lower limbs and leaves fell off last year due to a mite battle. Couldn't get any new growth to push down low so I got pissed and whacked one of the three branches off down to about 8 inches or so from the fork. The tree is pushing lots of growth up top and I'm hoping the prune will stimulate some branches down low. If it works, I'll nail the other two one at a time. Good luck all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.