Audrey 3

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I got this gloxinia on a fall sale for .79 and I swear it was dead when I planted it. stuck it in a 2" pot and kept watering it anyway. one day my DIL asked me what the little green thing was...sure enough, it had sprouted from the 'dead' roots. it's still in the 2" pot and I have to water it almost every day now. I hate to transplant it because it's got some nice buds. all of a sudden one bud started to swell. now it's staring at the back of my head and making me a little nervous. DH and I decided it looks like 'you-know-who' from Little Shop of Horrors. I'm going to be careful what I feed it LOL

Thumbnail by grampapa
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

My mother had a plant - like a gloxinia - but it was called a Resurrection Plant. Apparently, it would regularly go dormant to the point of appearing dead - then revive. could this be the same thing?

(Zone 4a)

Hey that is pretty neat!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I've had gloxinias before and didn't think they did that. But I'm sure glad I didn't give up on it. I can just look inside the bud this morning. I think it's going to be purple or lavender.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gram, re-pot it into a 6 " pot using African Violet soil. Seymour would.
They do go dormant like Amaryllis.
The flower is fragrant.
Andy P

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks, Andy. I didn't think I should repot it while it was blooming. should I do it now?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

ASAP

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

FEEEEED ME!!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

It's PURPLE!!! I have followed Andy's instructions and repotted in an AV mix with fert, so she's FED! and that's ALL shes' getting!

Thumbnail by grampapa
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Gram, if you suddenly stop posting we WILL be contacting the Wheatfield police :>)

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Look how much fun 79 cents can buy. lol
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.