How DO you protect your veggies from squirrels and rabbits?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Last year the squirrels must have been laughing their heads off in the trees as they watched our horror at finding (over and over) our corn seedlings pulled up and decimated!!!!!!!!!!!!! We'd replant, and they'd re-eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So.........how DO you protect against squirrels and rabbits??????? We're going to get a shocking solar fence to keep the deer away from them, that should help, but the little varmints will still be there.

I've used bird netting, but once your stuff grows into the netting it's a pain to get it out. ANY ideas would be appreciated.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've used a cage made of chicken wire in the past, 3 feet tall. It seems once the plants get over a certain height, the squirrels aren't interested anymore. Once year those tree rats dug out 50 cups planted with sunflower seeds. I became a crack shot with a sling shot that year and again, put chicken wire around everything after replanting.

Xeramtheum

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah! Good idea for the corn. How about rows of watermelon???? Or was that deer damage? I gave up after a while last year, I can't see my garden from windows in the house, so I don't know what was eating them.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I thought rabbits were eating up my melons and cucumbers last year. It turned out to be voles and rabbitsl. They girdled my young peach trees too. I also blamed that on rabbits, but later learned more about voles. Do you see tunnels and little holes in the ground ? I thought they were crawdad holes, but nope......voles.

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

You might want to sprinkle some hot pepper powder around the plants; chili poweder or red pepper flakes. If you can get the large containers (i.e., Sam's club) it's more economical. Just a little sprinkle - those critters should stay away.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Peggie, yes, I see those tunnels every once in a while, thought they were crawdads too!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never heard of a "vole" what the heck?!?!?

GREAT! One more critter to think about!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.