Will's Sugar or Royal Golden Watermelons

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have Sugar Baby watermelons planted and have room for one more watermelon hill in my backyard. I was thinking about Will's Sugar or Royal Golden offered by Baker Creek. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Edited because what I wrote the first time didn't make sense.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2007 7:19 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have grown Royal Golden back when Willhite sold it in the sixties. Looks like a pumpkin and doesn't taste a whole lot better. Strictly a novelty as far as I am concerned.

Thank you FarmerDill. That's probably why Willhite discontinued it. :o) Any recomendations for a smaller (up to 15 lbs) watermelon? ~Dan

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't grow a lot of "icebox" types. Sugar Baby and its derivatives are pretty good. The old Wilson Sweet also sold by Willhite in the 60's and now by Sandhill Preservation is pretty good. A little larger than Sugar Baby but not as sweet. It is a spotted melon with a unique appearance. Micky Lee has hung around for a number of years without getting overly popular. Have not grown it yet, but was unimpressed by its U of Florida stablemates Dixie Lee and Sugar Lee. Have not grown many hybrids, but Burpee's Fordhook is good as is Yellow Doll. Did grow The Red, White and Yellow Sugar Lumps (Henry Fields) back in the late 50's. They were all pretty good. Still grow some Cream of Saschatchewan which seems to be identical to the white Sugar Lump. A novelty melon that actually tastes good.

Thanks again Farmerdill. With just the 2 of us it takes to long to eat the larger melons. The smaller ones work out better for us and they don't take up as much space in the refrigerator. I guess I'll plant another hill of the Sugar Baby's in a couple of weeks and call it good for this season. ~Dan

Fayetteville, AR

I didn't even know there were this many small watermelons.
http://agsyst.wsu.edu/Watermelon.htm
Sugar Baby is on the lower brix (sweetness) scale.
Lots of good info here. White Wonder looks real good; glad I got some seeds from Baker Creek.
Tho, alas, they now list it as: Sold Out.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I second Burpee Fordhook and Yellow doll as potentially great tasting melons.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.