Anyone growing luffa?

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi,

We got some luffa seeds and were wondering if there were any special hints to growing them, and it they need fertile soil or not. Last year I planted them too late in the season for flowers but the vine did grow fast. So I do know that they need to be started as early as possible in the season. These are the long luffas, not the round.

We are thinking of supporting them with an old clothesline. Will that be strong enough or is chain link better?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

This will be my first year to grow them. I did talk with someone who said she grew hers on chain link. I've grown ornamental gourds in large pots with some little bamboo arches to climb and they did just fine. I don't think it's a terribly aggressive vine like a wisteria or anything. Anyone else, before Tropicanna and I make mistakes here?

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Hi; I've grown the long ones 2 years----they're like growing pumpkins or zucchinis. They like a lot of water, and room to grow. I grew mine last year on an 8-foot lattice trellis, and by the end of the season, one was ripening on my roof. Then they died back and I ripped the vines down, and that's the end of it. They're not invasive, but they can get kind of rangy.
The luffas themselves can get really heavy---I had one that was almost 2 feet long and about 6 inches in diameter by the time it was full-grown. Just give them solid support, and they should do fine!

I think the clothesline might not be strong enough, though.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I was thinking I'd nail some chicken wire to the fence posts (cedar privacy fence) and let them grow up that. Maybe I'll nail up a piece of trellis instead.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

imapigeon-

It's one of those old clotheslines with 3 lines across-I'm bargaining here-Do you think that would be strong enough or I need to reinforce it. I have to grow the gourds outside of the garden (due to past overcrowding-LOL) and I really don't have a good sunny spot other than the clothesline. I wander if I reinforced the clothesline...this is gonna be a rig! LOL

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't really think the vines would be heavier than a load of wet clothes (you can tell how old I am, can't you?) -- once they get up to it they should use that nicely, I would think. Make sure the lines are not badly frayed or anything. And you have to post a picture -- better yet, a series so we can see the progress!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd say that line is way sturdier than we want! And good point about wet clothes!

I'll try very hard to remember to get pictures-I'd like to see yours grow, too!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I try to remember to get the camera out the first of every month. I post some, but mainly I keep them so I can tell I AM making progress! I'm planning on putting dipper gourds on a cattle panel arbor as well.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

We grew birdhouse gourds and had some wild ornamental gourds the first year here. It was fun growing them, and I'll probably put a few bidhouse gourd seed in with the luffa.

Trying to get better about taking pics, but my hands are shaky and they don't always look good. First of the month sounds like a good system.

You mean the spiderweb-shaped clotheslines? The ones that spin?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

BEWARE: Luffa vines will take over EVERYTHING! The one I had two years ago grew all over my fence and into my neighbors yard and all over their Leyland Cypress trees. I had tons of fruit, though!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeehaw! if it's anything like pumpkin, or the birdhouse gourds I'm prepared.

My old clothesline does not spin, looks like a power line with 3 lines across the top, strung from the bottom.

Oh yeah---that should be plenty strong! Can you adjust the tension on the lines if they start to droop? My biggest luffa last year probably weighed 10 lbs. all by itself, and I had about 5 more that were smaller I know on my "grapelines" (which are just like your clothesline) my DH put an adjusting screw so I could tighen them up if they sagged.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Sure can adjust them. I think it's the best spot we have to grow them, unless I feel like digging gras for the next month or so!

Shouls I go ahead and start the seed inside? I have an unheated greenhouse also

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

They don't like to be transplanted, I've heard.

I've had my very best luck with my luffa seeds putting them in blown-up plastic bags on damp paper towels, and getting them started in a warm spot. Then when they germinate, I put them in pots and into the greenhouse till it warms up enough to put them in the ground. They do like their soil warm. When it's not, they sulk, and you may as well have left them in the pots. Also our CA snails and slugs love them, so I double-plant, and try to protect them when they're young.

P.S. You can use small peat pots or newspaper pots to disturb the roots less.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2007 10:27 AM

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Tropicanna,

Here is another Luffa thread where folks are talking about it.
I've mentioned a few things that might be of assistance to you.

:-) Karen Marie

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/703577/

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Karen Marie!
Good info there!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Have you planted them yet? I just put mine in the ground yesterday. Nothing so far... ;P

Post pictures if you have any! I'm excited about these.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I have them in the greenhouse-haven't sprouted up from the dirt yet. I left plenty of left over seeds in case it doesn't work-keeping my fingers crossed.

A couple of years ago a saw a website where people were slicing the luffas and using them to make bars of soap with lluffa in the middle. Way cool-maybe we'll try that. I'm ready for those sponges already! It will be so fun to give them away!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I usually make soap, just out of the big chunks of soap-making soap you can get at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I'm thinking I'll slice up the luffas and just dip them into the soap. That should last a while!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

That's a good idea, too. I have no pics and I'm really bad about taking them. My hands are shaky and my camera has been acting up ever since the cat knocked it into some water-lol

But I love looking at other people's pics! brigidlily, have you ever grown birdhouse gourds? They are fun, too. If you'd like some seeds we have lots of those as well as some unnammed small, round gourds. I guess you could send a SASE? Have not figured out a practical use for the round ones yet because they aren't thick and sturdy like the birdhouses, but they are cute. If I had time to paint them or something they'd be nice.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I grew birdhouse gourds last year in pots pretty successfully. Thanks for the offer, but I have two bix boxes of gourds sitting in my bedroom and I've promised myself I won't get anymore until I've done something with those.

So many things I'd like to do... if it weren't for this pesky job thing... that allows me to do those things I'd like to do... but don't have time because of this pesky... okay I'll stop...

Valley Village, CA

I grew mine in a half wine barrel, it didn't get that big for me. I also think that they would do well, in large plastic container. I want to use this as a project for my garden club. Norma

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Something of an update -- I planted six luffas and, now a month later, two have sprouted. I wish they all had (or would) but at least I have two! And I have a few more seeds. Hoping it's not a bad time for borers, I'll tuck at least a couple more in the ground.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I fried mine in the greenhouse:(. Plan to start more seeds soon but really doubt I'll get any loofah this year-oh, well, better luck next year

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I planted more seeds and got one more sprout. Don't know what's going on here, though I do know the soil I planted them in is very sandy. That's probably the problem. I've put mushroom compost immediately around them, but the two that sprouted on the first planting are pretty puny and the one from this planting is just sitting there. The spaghetti squash is thriving and is only a few feet from the luffas, and the gourds planted on the other side of the cattle panel arch are putting on gourds already. And the mystery squash/gourd/watermelon that volunteered where the compost heap used to be is almost a monster. Hmmm. I just don't know.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

i'll be happy to send you some red clay-they germinate fine, just don't get big enough-lol

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Clay, I've got! I think I just was hasty planting anything. I should have amended soil for at least a year before I planted anything! Right now I have 2 luffas that look like they want to grow and that should give me plenty of luffas. And if I get none, I guess I'm no worse off than I was!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

brigid-I have sadly given up the thought of planting luffa this year :(

You will have to post pics of yours when they come in.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry to hear it. I'm really crossing my fingers on mine. I've heard people around here say how well they grow, but so far I'm not terribly impressed. But it's early yet. I'll keep you posted.

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

I planted some loofa seeds about 4 weeks ago and they started to sprout within two weeks. They are about 3 inches high now. I put some chicken wire around and between two big pine trees and planted loofa seeds at the bottom of one tree and a mix of other gourd seeds on the bottom of the other tree. The misc gourds haven't sprouted. I ordered some more seeds and should have those planted this week.

Is it too late to plant them?

Thanks,
Megin

Crossville, TN

I would think they will do fine in your area...long season. Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It's my understanding the really big gourds (bushels, etc.) can take 6 months to harvest. I know I could still plant them here! And I've read a little frost won't hurt them when they've gotten pretty much mature. Ginger Summit's "Gourds in Your Garden" is an excellent resource.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I think I will try now-October does not ususally get that cold. BF wants me to try and grow in few in the greenhouse -I think it will be a total mess, but I'm dumb enough to try it.

Crossville, TN

Not dumb....experemental??? Jo

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Jo-now there's a way to look at the bright side-always willing to experiment!lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.