Peat Pots

(Zone 4a)

I have some little peat pots to start my seeds. I was just wondering when I am ready to plant the little guys can I just put the whole peat pot in the ground or do I need to remove it and then plant the plant???

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Dawn, they are meant to be left on because they are just supposed to break down into the soil, but I usually take the bottom out. Sometimes those pots are tougher than they look and the roots wind up circling inside the pot instead of breaking thru and the plant winds up potbound. just be careful not to break up your roots when you do that. I would also make sure that the pot is well soaked when you plant. peat is notorious for repelling water. it will meld with the soil better if it isn't dry.

anybody else have a thought?

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

I agree. I start almost all my veggies this way for ease of transplanting, but I often carefully remove the bottom, or at least poke holes in it. I also rip off the top part of the pot, which is usually drier, the part above the soil line. Sometimes when I do that the whole thing comes off, which is fine, as long as I handle it carefully.

So no, you don't *have* to remove it, but keep in mind that it doesn't break down as quickly as it is touted to, and if you can open up at least the bottom for the roots, that is better, IMO.

:)
Dee

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with Dee, 100%.

(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the info folks....I appreciate it.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

You're welcome!

:)
Dee

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

anytime :0)

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm late seeing this thread, but better late....etc. I remember being told not only to break out the bottom but to make sure that none of the peat top sticks out of the soil, since that could wick moisture away from the plant. Not sure if that is correct, but I do it anyway. I only use peat pots for things that hate being transplanted.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Don, That is a good point. Same holds when you are planting potted plants.

I was always told to rip off that top edge, which sometimes rips out the side and bottom = grief. Luckily they were basil and they survived the torment.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hmm, pirl, I do that (tearing off the top) all the time, lol! Maybe if you rip off that top really, really, really gently, like I do, and that way if the side(s) come off, they also come off gently and don't disturb the roots, then the plant is okay. Luckily, knock on wood, I haven't had any problem... so far. :)

Dee

If it's too damp it seems to flop apart. At the end of May we're out about 8 hours each day just doing the planting of the vegetables/annuals/summer bulbs/perennials/herbs so I do get a bit rushed. I'll try to do better!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Not to mess Dawn up, but all of this is why I don't like peat pots.

Dave - I think Dawn's head may be swimming with all the information headed her way. I do agree with you and yet there is that urge to use up my supply of them. They're useful when giving away plants to neighbors, etc. I think they get too soggy, too fast, and don't drain well as the plastic cell packs do.

(Zone 4a)

Oh great! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.