Scarlet Tanager

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Another bird that I have a hard time photographing is the Scarlet Tanager.... They always seem to be up in the branches of the tall trees. This one was from a couple years ago out here in the backyard...... I heard it singing so I grabbed the camera and walked back in the woods and was able to grab a few shots before it decieded it didn't want his picture taken anymore.....

...Dave

Thumbnail by UncleGreenthumb
Marlton, NJ

BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks Dave!

Your welcome pell;,,,

....Dave

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Dave -
I've lurked about in your threads, you take the most amazing photos! Thank you so much for sharing with us. I'm just in awe of your talent.
Sharon

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Great pics! This is one of my favorite birds. You are right they are usually very high up in the branches of mature trees. When I hear one singing I usually grab my binoculars.

Hebron, KY

Great photos Dave! Beautiful bird.

I've never heard and/or seen any here in KY the whole time I've been here for ten & a half yrs. What kind of environment do you see them in Dave and Bluegrassmom? We live in a subdivision with a large wooded pasture next to us (and not far from the OH River).

Melbourne, FL

Especially love the last shot. What an amazing color.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Excellent photos, as always ....

Do you have any photos of the female ? I don't think I could identify the female by itself. On one occasion, I took a photo of the male and never saw the female until I looked at the photo.

Marilyn;,

The only place I've ever seen them is back in the woods, high up in the treetops......Sometimes they can be hard to spot......I just listen for them singing....

linth;,,

I have a pair that nest back here every summer but I've never photographed the female....I'll try and do that this summer if I get the chance,,,,

Hebron, KY

Dave,

I'm going to have to find a website that lets you hear the birds (had one bookmarked at one time). Gotta listen to how they sing so maybe I can listen for them in the Summer.

Hebron, KY

I just found a website to listen

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i6080id.html

Thanks Sharon;,,,,

For me it's just relaxing grabbing the camera and popping off a few shots once in awhile.....Theres just so many different species of birds here along with the other wildlife, I thought it would be nice trying to photograph some of it...... Glad you enjoy them.....

,,,,Dave

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

My sister and I was looking at one of my bird books yesterday. She hadn't heard of a Scarlet Tanager and I was showing her the picture. The text says that they only nest in tall, mature trees, 75 feet above the ground.

The book is The Enclyclopedia of North American Birds by Michael Vanner. It has great photos. I bought it at Barnes and Noble.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Fabulous photos of an incredible bird - that color is amazing!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

wow, Great photos! One of my favorite birds!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I have only seen this guy once or twice in my life. Way up in a tree way back in the woods. But the color is unmistakable. Great shots. You have a great talent and a little luck thrown in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.