strangled to death by vine?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Now that I got you to look...someone told me if I put 2 species of vines together on the same trellis, one will kill the other because it can only feel its own vine and will strangle to death the other. I know nothing about vines and wanted to plant a few different kinds of clematis on the same trellis. Will one really kill the others or is it a logical sounding myth? Can I put clematis and maybe bougainvillea on same trellis?
Thanks for all thoughts. :)
chris

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

One vine will only kill another if one is an aggressive rampant grower and the other one is rather wimpy. If you choose vines that are more moderate growers, they should get along OK, the key then is to make sure you choose things that enjoy the same growing conditions. I don't know enough about Clematis to tell you whether it would work with bougainvillea in terms of their rates of growth, but they don't like the same growing conditions so I wouldn't pair them up for that reason. Clematis like to have their roots shaded and tops in sun, and they will need more water and fertilizer than the bougainvillea. If the bougie gets too much water and/or fertilizer, it will not bloom well, they like as much sun as possible and conditions on the dry side. I've heard of people combining Clematis with climbing roses, so you might consider that instead.

Good thoughts, I didnt even think of them both not liking the same conditions. Thorns are not a good idea where I am putting this one, but that combo sounds beautiful.
thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Bougies have thorns too, guess that's another good reason not to use them there!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I combine vines all the time and have never had a problem, but as ecrane said, they should enjoy the same conditions. The only problem that I have run into is when I prune. When one gets pruned, the other one gets pruned too. I had a Dalechampia vine growing on a Bougainvillea for many years. The bougainvillea tends to send up tall shoots when pruned, and that makes it an ideal thing to climb. The thorns only got me when I pruned so you'll need to wear gloves to avoid injuries. Bougainvilleas get huge here when planted in the ground, but I imagine you will grow these two vines in containers or in a greenhouse or conservatory? You'll need a very big container eventually if you try to grow Bougainvillea in a container. I've grown several clematis in the same pot, and the vines will not strangle each other.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Thanks Clare, I have given up on the idea of the bougainvillea. It is very beautiful but I wanted to grow them outside, I was so wrapped up in how nice they were that I didnt even realize the zone. Thanks for the info on the vines, I have alot of trellises that I am strategically placing in all my beds for height and its nice that they will comingle. Can't find "dalechampia" in plant files. Will it survive winters in zone 8? Do you know of any other beautiful, different vines(that are not invasive) that will enjoy trellis in zone 8?
chris

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Here is the Dalechampia in PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55263/index.html It is a tropical vine, hardy to Zone 10. It says hardy to Zone 11, but that is wrong. I just emailed the administrators so that they can change it. It gets to be a big vine in time and would have to be grown in a container and brought inside in the winter in your zone.

Check out your local nurseries and Home Depots for vine recommendations. They are bound to only carry what will be hardy in your area. I grow a lot of different wisterias which tend to be hardy in your zone. There are several American wisterias which are beautiful and which are not invasive: http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=wisteria&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are som others you might consider...Trachelospermum jasminoides is evergreen with white fragrant flowers and I think it's OK to zone 7, many different sorts of clematis would do fine for you, and I think there are some Passifloras that would be hardy in your zone. There are probably a million others too, that's just what comes to mind when I think about it for a few seconds.

Thanks for the info and ideas, I have some research to do, lol. Going to start with clematis, then I will look for extras.
chris

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't think I have vines that aren't paired up, I have no problems..
Clematis and cross vine
Rangoon and chalice vine
coral and hyacinth
passion and morning glory..
mexican flame, passion, morning gory and hawaiin wood rose
well you get the picture..They actually add an electric spash of color..
Rj

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Those are some great combos RJ

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks....I'm a vine freak, I run out of room...My whole pear tree was covered with passion last year..

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have been looking around trying to figure out where I can put more vines too. My looks to be dead bauhinia tree has a nice green passion vine growing through it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh cool...
yeah..those Bauhinias are fussy..I haven't figure out what makes them happy.

I found an inovative answer for vines...I bought two 40 foot bamboo ladders, one is on the east fence, the other opposite on the west end of the deck. Going to have orange sky vine with Murtoni Grandiflora (a more frequent bloomer than the grandiflora) I did have a jade vine 30 feet up the ladder before jack frost played his joke here. 27 fri night...70 saturday..the plants are still freaking. I do have another jade vine..but..I might put it in front, by the house..protected

This is the view from my kitchen...If your observant, you'll see one of the ladders on the right. I have poison arrow vine planted there..

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
(Zone 11)

Ok RJ, I love your ladders but I have 3 questions.

Where do you find 40 ft bamboo ladders?
How much do they cost?
And how in the heck do you get them back to your house ? :~)

Thanks
Dave

Good questions, I would like to know where to get them also.
chris

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well that is one of those stories that I had access to some exotic things a few years back before the Iraq thing started. I was part owner of an import store. We imported from Indonesia and Thailand. I had the oportunity to go on a buying trip to Chiang Mai Thailand- and naturally when I was buying things for the store, I was actually buying stuff I liked. I was in a taxi going to the arts/crafts area and saw several coconut ladders leaning up agains coconut trees. I was shipping a full 40 foot container back, so bought all of them they had. My original intention was to make these decorative ladders you find at the import stores for an absurd price..they are about 6 to 8 feet tall and I guess people hang things on them..Personally I had alternative ideas in mind..and when the invasion began, I told my partners...who all of us had full time jobs already...we can either try to ride this out...or...christmas is 3 months away..have a huge sale and get out...which we did. The thing was I had stocked up for a a year for the Thailand end of it, and we had the warehouse full of stuff...which we had been selling off up to last summer. What I didn't sell is adorning the gardens and the house just llike I envisioned.....LOL... one for the store...two for me....another for the store....ooh..those for me..
So that is the story...access, right time, wrong time...equals 40 foot ladders. I cut one in half, and just couldn't bring myself to cut the other two.
Rj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.