Earth Box Question - reusing soil

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm posting this question for my daughter Laura, (4xthefun) so I really have no clue what I'm asking:
She told me to say:

Last season I used organic fertilizer in my earth boxes.
I'm getting ready to plant again and want to know if I can use the same soil again this year and do I just add more organic fertilizer to my soil.

(I'm posting because she's at soccer practice with the kids and hopes there will be an answer by the time she gets home)

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

If she fertilized by putting the fertilizer in a two inch line on the top of the mix then scoop out the old fertilizer add more mix to fill to the top and replace with three cups of organic fertilizer. Do not mix into the soil. However if you are growing tomatos mix two cups of dolomite lime into the soil. This you do mix into the soil but not the fertilizer. Lime is for tomatos only.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I think she told me she mixed the organic fertilizer into the soil, not on the top.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi,

It's me :) back from soccer games. Anyway, I thought when I did my earthboxes last year the instructions said if you were using organic fertilizer you mix it in with the soil but synthetic goes in a stripe along the top. I know I can scrape the stripe the top off and re-use the soil but some of my boxes I used organic fertilizer and mixed it into the soil. So, what do I do about that? I can't find my EB instructions. Maybe the website will say something.

Thanks!
Laura

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Can't knock it. If it works go for it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.