Confused re: cutting back in spring

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I've read that you should cut back your perennials in spring. That doesn't include the ones that stayed green, does it? My lamium, heuchera, and vinca all look great when I checked on them under the snow. I understand cutting down the perennials that are all dry and terrible looking (like the mums), but is it necessary to do that to the ones that still look good? Tamara

Bettendorf, IA

I had bookmarked 2 articles awhile back on this. First is on spring pruning and he second is on fall pruning:

http://gardening.about.com/od/maintenance/a/Spring_Pruning.htm

http://gardening.about.com/od/maintenance/a/Fall_Pruning.htm

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

In our bizarre climate I frequently have perennial salvias & such that come through the winter with a nice green "rosette" under the old foliage. My impression was that cutting out the old brown stuff from last year opens up the plant center to light where the new foliage should emerge from the rosette.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Greenjay, what if none of the foliage turned brown? What if it stayed green? (see pic) Do I cut off good green foliage? That seems so....scary. I have no problem cutting off brown yucky foliage, but cutting off perfectly good green stuff has always been soooo hard. I have to remind myself that sometimes it's good for the plant. I just need to know what plants benefit from this. Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

And here's the heuchera:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I have never had to cut back lamium ,if it is leggy (long stem with no leaves) place a rock on the stem and it will root in about 3 weeks you will have new plants to do whatever with. I also never cut back heuchera ,just the damaged outer leaves,but Im sure it would not hurt if you wanted a fresh look.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Tamara, you have lots of time before you need to tidy up those plants, I have them growing in my yard too, in the spring when it is warm out I take my scrap bucket, tiny shears and kneeler and make my rounds. Happy gardening!

Chris

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Chris and Gus! :-) Tamara

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Cut back? No way! I'm buying more plants... : ))

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

lol Podster! Every year I vow to tend to the plants I have and not buy any more, but, of course, I've never actually suceeded in restraining myself! TAmara

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

TAmara , two years ago I said the same thing , and I HAD been real good till last month when I discovered DG .Now I have plans for TWO new beds (one 16x32) for all the new things I just HAVE to try. Good Luck

Louisville, KY

I want at least 5 of every flower on earth .... dont you think thats reasonable after 5 is a small number.

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I'm glad you posted this, zone5girl. I was wondering the same thing. I have mums that I need to cut back, but I wondered about some of my other perennials. I have irises that are just as green as can be, my Jacob's Ladder looks ready to bloom, but my Speedwell looks crunchy! Guess I'll keep watching the answers on this thread. :)

Thanks,
Michelle

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi Tamara,

Each perennial has it's own pruning schedule. Some die back, some get crunchy and others can get trimmed down to promote new growth. They are all unique. Although I'm not a complete pruning nut I keep a pruning schedule and this past weekend was a big weekend for me for some shrubs and woody perennials.

Here's what I do with some that were mentioned. Lamium: I usually prune in mid summer IF the heat of the summer starts to make them look raggedy. I do not prune in spring. Heuchera: I never prune, dead leaf only. Vinca: Ignore it, never prune but you can mow it down if it gets ratty looking for new growth.

This weekend I pruned:
Buddleia (Butterfly Bush)
Perovskia (Russian Sage)
Callicarpa (Beautyberry)
Some Roses
Caryopteris (Bluebeard)

I deadleafed:
Iris (Bearded Iris)
Stachys (Lambs Ear)

And my back hurts.

:-)

Sue

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Sue! Tamara

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I dead-leafed a lot of iris, too. My back hurts, too.

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Tarmara,

A great book that has lots of pruning advice for perennials is "The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting & Pruning Techniques" by Tracy DiSabato-Aust. She also has recommendations for how and when to divide. It's a great book for helping you get the best from your plants. I'm sure it's listed in the bookworm section of DG.

My original plan in life was to get only plants that are no care or low-care but I keep getting into high maintenance relationships with plants I've fallen in love with! I really never pictured myself owning any ROSES. Talk about high maintenance, but look at me... I ended up with twelve.

Then I killed four of them last year so that balanced things out.

:-) Sue

Here's a photo to make our backs feel better. It will all be worth it come spring!

Thumbnail by AddieOtto
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

AddieOtto, that iris is gorgeous! I've heard of that book...it's listed as one of the favorites for DG members. Guess I better head over to Amazon.com :-) Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.