Redbelly Woodpecker

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone;,,

I want to thank everyone that has replied to my other pictures..... I know it's rude taking so long to reply, or not replying at all.... I'ts getting to be that time of year when things start getting really busy here...... I'm enjoying reading through the other threads and looking at all the nice pictures, and stories that go along with them when time permits.... Thanks..

I was taking a break and getting ready to fix some dinner and thought I'd post one of a Woodpecker I took out by the feeders a while back..... I have a few different ones I'll just be adding on this thread instead of starting a bunch of new ones.... Hope you enjoy them, and happy shooting!!!

.....Dave

Thumbnail by UncleGreenthumb
Marlton, NJ

Really nice shot of one of my favorite visitors!

Heres a Downey

Hebron, KY

Great pics!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

As always really nice shots Dave! And there is no need to apologize for taking a while to respond to a post. This is the begining of gardening season for alot of us and we will be checking in more sporadically too. I haven't been takaing many photos because I've been spending my nice days that I am not working up to my elbows in dirt lol!

Thanks pell;,,,

Heres a Flicker warming up on the side of a tree...

Melbourne, FL

That Flicker is gorgeous...and I know Pelletory will be green with envy.....she wants one real bad!!!

Hebron, KY

Another great pic of yours Dave. Thanks for always sharing!

lilyfantn;,,

Most of my gardening right now is still inside the greenhouse, although I have some apple and pear trees that need pruning, along with the raspberries and blueberries.... With this milder weather I needed to get a start on it....

...Dave

Hebron, KY

Beautiful female Cardinal photo.

Thanks Marilynbeth;,,,

Glad you enjoy them......

I just remembered today is friday..... I get to stay up an extra hour tonight....lol

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That is one beautiful bird you just posted. What is it??

Janet

Marlton, NJ

Tremendous pics Dave! So clear and crisp! Thanks again, love this last wp.

Hebron, KY

Beautiful photo of a Red Headed Woodpecker Dave! Those are beautiful birds! The only time I ever saw one in person was back in the 70's while I was living with my parents in Centerville, OH (suburb of Dayton, OH) in the backyard.

Thanks for sharing the pic! A joy for me to see!

er, why do you get to stay up an extra hour Dave? lol

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 8:34 PM

American Kestrel

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Fantastic photos, Dave. I really like the Red-headed Woodpecker. I have not seen one in years here in Maryland.

Marilynbeth;,,

During the week I work nights(Driving)..... I get up at 1:30 in the morning here......On fridays I don't have to be up till 3:00am..... For me it's like being able to sleep in...... Now Saturday nights I can stay up REALLY late..... haaa!!

Hebron, KY

Great photo of the American Kestrel Dave! I've only seen one or two by the Airport here on a wire in the past 10 years.

Hebron, KY

LOL Dave! ;-))

Great pic! What kind of Owl is that? Beautiful bird!

Melbourne, FL

You're not kidding! That Kestral shot is SHARP!

Janet;,

Glad your enjoying them.... I think the one your refering to is a Red Headed Woodpecker,,, We have a few around but there not as common as some of the others.... The Red Bellies, and Downys seem to be two of the more common ones I get here in the backyard....

...Dave

Marilynbeth;,,,

Thats a "Barred Owl"...... One of a pair I have out here......

They have to get up early in the evening around here if they want their pictures taken.... You should hear them out here at night..... They sit up in the pines and just hoot up a storm..... Amazing how close I can get to these......

Hebron, KY

Sound wonderful Dave!

Great photo of the Hummer in the flying action shot! (all your photos are great!)

One more owl

before I call it a night....... This was funny..... This one was sitting in one of the apple trees one afternoon just snoozing away........ I had to wake it up so I could get it's picture...... Doesn't look like this little joker was a happy camper after I woke it up....

....Dave

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! I love your photos Dave. Such crystal clear shots. You've got these birds trained to say "Cheese", don't you? I'm curious. Do you frame your shots this beautifully??? or do you crop them until you have only the bird in the photo?? When I try to get good close ups I end up chopping off part of the bird. My birds never sit still long enough to get good closeups.

Dave, when I grow up, I wanna take photos just like yours!!! Absolutely breathtaking!!! I'd love to have a calendar of your photos. Thanks so much for sharing your talent and your passion for these gorgeous creatures!

Janet

Hebron, KY

Dave,

You're right! Looks like he or she's not happy at all with you! LOL

Looks sleepy and mad. Looks like an Eastern Screech Owl.

edited for grammer

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 9:42 PM

Marlton, NJ

Tremendous shot!! Thanks Dave!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Dave, that's how I look when someone wakes me up, too!!!

As always, incredible photography! I'm so glad you can fit in the time to share them!!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful photos!
I had a couple of Downey WPs here last fall and winter and a Red Headed WP in the summer of 2005 but haven't seen either at the feeders this winter. I've been out a couple of time looking for owls too, I can hear them at night (sounds like Great Horned Owls) but haven't been able to find where they're sleeping during the day.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I love your pictures, they are always top quality! Do you ever enter contests? Or are you a professional?

I have a new paddle feeder for woodpeckers and no one is trying it out yet. Maybe next week. It is snowy and cold here, so I just filled the feeders and hurried back in to enjoy watching them.
Teresa

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Professional quaility shots for sure. You must have an awesome camera!

Marlton, NJ

Dave, Are you shooting RAW?

Good morning pell;,,

I don't like shooting in RAW..... They take to much time to convert on this computer, and I just don't gain that much more by doing so..... The only thing I've noticed, when I have shot in RAW, is it's a bit easier correcting any blowen out highlights that might have come from the sun being so bright or maybe the flash settings were off a bit..... one other thing is the files are so darn huge... It doesn't take long to fill up a memory card with RAW files either...... I'm happy just shooting in JPEG.... I'm not that picky... RAW is for the profesionals..... I'm a long way from being one of those.....

....Dave

Fond Du Lac, WI(Zone 5a)

I had been wondering what kind of woodpecker was visiting our feeders and now I know thanks to Dave's first post! This guy doesn't visit us often enough.

My husband and I just moved to the country and the amount of birdlife we now have is incredible. The 5 feeders we have get picked clean in less the a week! The four cardinal pairs and the chickadees are my favorite visitors.

I definitely don't miss the city!!! :)

Thumbnail by Bubbeez
Hebron, KY

Bubbeez,

What kind of feeder is that and what kind of food is the Red Belly eating?

Great pic of the Red Belly!

Marilyn

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Awsome as always! I've been trying to get a pic of a kestral for 3 weeks now and can't get the little bugger to stay still long enough for me to get close, But I'll keep trying! Love the owl pics ! They are one of my top bird likes also!

Fond Du Lac, WI(Zone 5a)

Marilyn-

That's a Birdseed Bell that is sold around here at local home stores. This one is made out of sunflower seeds. They have bells made with all different types of seed. The birds love 'em! :)

-Bubbeez

Hebron, KY

Bubbeez,

Thanks! I've never seen a bell like that before made out of sunflower seeds.

Marilyn

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I feed my birds only the black oil sunflower seeds. I am wondering if I couldn't make something like that. I wonder what they use for "glue".

Janet

Hebron, KY

Janet,

Most likely gelatin. That's what they use for the seed block I have.

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.