How Do You Make Irises Bloom?????????

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have dozens of Irises planted and every year I get only a couple of blooms out of all of them!!!!!!!!! What's the secret??????? I have them in full sun and partial, in ground and in pots, nothing seems to work!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Perhaps you have them planted too deep. In your zone, the tops of the rhizomes should be above ground.

Let me see if I can find some information on that for you.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Here's a pretty good illustration of the correct way to plant them. Scroll down to the bottom.

If bearded iris are planted too deep they don't bloom.

http://www.schreinersgardens.com/iris_culture.shtml

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks. I always plant them, as I learned, so that it looks like a swan in water (you see part of the rhizome as if it were the swan's back and the greenery is the head).

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's my visual: middle-aged ladies in bikinis, floating in the water.

If the rhizomes are over crowded, blooms will be sparse.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Lady: Are you fertilizing them ? I do and also use give them coffee grounds.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

From schreinersgardens.com:

How to Grow Iris

When to Plant

For best results, Iris should be planted in July, August or September. It's imperative that the roots of newly planted Iris be well-established before the growing season ends. In areas with hot summers and mild winters, September or October planting may be preferred.

Where to Plant

Iris need at least a half day of sun. In extremely hot climates some shade is beneficial, but in most climates Iris do best in full sun. Be sure to provide your Iris good drainage, planting either on a slope or in raised beds.

Soil Preparation

Iris will thrive in most well-drained garden soils. Planting on a slope or in raised beds helps ensure good drainage. If your soil is heavy, coarse sand or humus may be added to improve drainage. Gypsum is an excellent soil conditioner that can improve most clay soils. The ideal pH is 6.8 (slightly acidic), but Iris are tolerant in this regard. To adjust the pH of your soil, lime may be added to acidic soils or sulfur to alkaline soils. It is always best to have your soil analyzed before taking corrective measures.

Depth to Plant

Iris should be planted so the tops of the rhizomes are exposed and the roots are spread out facing downward in the soil. In very light soils or in extremely hot climates, covering the rhizome with 1 inch of soil may be desirable. Firm the soil around each rhizome and then water to help settle the soil. A common mistake is to plant Iris too deeply.

Distance Apart

Iris are generally planted 12 to 24 inches apart. Close planting gives an immediate effect, but closely planted Iris will need to be thinned often. Plants spaced further apart will need less frequent thinning.

Watering

Newly set plants need moisture to help their root systems become established. Specific watering information depends on your climate and your soil, but keep in mind that deep watering at long intervals is better than more frequent shallow waterings. Once established, Iris normally don't need to be watered except in arid areas. Overwatering is a common error.

Fertilization

Specific fertilizer recommendations depend on your soil type, but bone meal, superphosphate and 6-10-10 are all effective. A light application in the early spring and a second light application about a month after bloom will reward you with good growth and bloom. Avoid using anything high in nitrogen, as nitrogen encourages rot problems.

Thinning Old Clumps

Iris need to be thinned or divided before they become overcrowded, generally every 3-4 years. If Iris are allowed to become too crowded the bloom will suffer, some varieties may crowd others out and disease problems may be aggravated. Old clumps may be thinned by removing the old divisions at the centers of the clumps and leaving new growth in the ground. Or, you may dig up the entire clump and remove and replant the large new rhizomes.

General Garden Care

Keep your Iris beds clean and free of weeds and debris, allowing the tops of the rhizomes to bask in the sun. Bloom stems should be cut off close to the ground after blooming. Healthy green leaves should be left undisturbed, but diseased or brown leaves should be removed.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you all for all that. I do fertilize occasionally, and I put coffee grounds on them. That should make it more acidic and help somewhat. I want a carefree garden, so forget testing for PH for me! If it doesn't make it, I plant something else. ;o)

Grannymarsh............LOL on that visual..............TMI!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Bonemeal in early spring. Hmmm. That's right now! I better get busy!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

In early spring - - (it's here right now where I live) I use liquid "Bloom Booster". It's similar to Miracle Gro, only it has a higher middle number (phosphate number) 15-60-15 If I remember correctly.

When High Phosphate levels gets a hold of an iris, and if that iris is "teeter-tottering" trying to decide it if should bloom or not - - this will cause it to bloom. It does wonders here! Percentage of stalks & blooms sky rocket when I use this. The stalks are usually taller too when I use this.

If you think your area has enough nitrogen in the ground due to a lot of rain - - then use half strength.

~Margie

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Bloom Booster is great and if you use it after blooming has ceased at half strength it tends to help rebloom as well.
I have already put on granuals as we are expecting snow tomarrow and it will help get it in the ground and
diluted a small bit for the little ones
:)
Anita

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, duh is me. Fertilizering after bloom to encourage the rebloomers. It's so obvious to me-- NOW !!! Thanks Anita for that tip. I have used triple super phosphate to encourage tuber production in my dahlias and it seems to make a difference, so why not on iris rhizomes. Today is going to be a *lightbulb* day.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have never seen Bloom Booster. I had better go out and find some. It sounds terrific!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

http://www.backyardstyle.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-3378&ps_session=dedf509597c115a37f3bd29c7c12317e

Look for Scotts Bloom Booster on line to get a place near you
most places like Lowes etc will have it
:)
Anita

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks! It sounds like just what the doctor ordered!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Never heard of Bloom Booster. Maybe I should give it to all those re-bloomers of mine that never rebloom.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I was told to put BLOODmeal rather than bonemeal on my Amaryllis, but not by a good gardener. Should I be doing BONEmeal?????????????? I just put bulb booster on my bulbs today.

Do you do it in Fall as well??????????????

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Lady,
Super phosphate or Triple Super Phosphate would be better for both YOU and your plants over bonemeal. They have more phosphate than bonemeal AND................click the link to read:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3259974

~ Margie

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I put a little blood meal and some bone meal on mine with a topping of Black Kow. I have the bloom booster and will try that also. It's raining right now, after an unusual dry spell so everything should soak in nicely. However, I'm afraid we will still get more frost. I just hope it's not too severe as iris can handle some cold.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Somebody mentioned granules... Does Bloom Booster come in a granular form too? I thought Miracle Gro was water soluble...

Sounds like if I pick up something with high phosphate in it at Lowe's, that should do the trick. With all the rain we're getting now, I'm hesitant to apply liquid anything LOL, so I will look for something granular.

I think it's also time to apply the Bayer grub control granules to combat borers, right? Trying to cover all my bases and have a banner year with my new irises... :-)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, dear, am I too late to apply Bloom Booster on the iris? Some do not have many buds yet. Also, I'm thinking it would be good for Eremurus, no?

Thanks. t.

I had alot of hard freeze damage & rotting blades thsi year in the TBs. Only a handful of dwarfs bloomed. The Intermediates are still deciding if blooms are a good idea.

Tazzy told me to remove all the rotting/damaged foliage & feed the iris a good fertilizer. I'm happy to say that i see buds on the early TBs. the season may not be a total loss after all...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I threw some bulb food around my irises last fall, and this spring they got a dose of super phosphate fertilizer (along with their grub control granules). Now I am getting buds and blooms on a lot of them for the first time! I think the fertilizer helped, but mostly it seems like it just takes them a couple of years to get established in my garden... The ones I planted 2 years ago had formed nice clumps by last spring, but only 1 bloomed... this year, it looks like they'll put on quite a show!

It often takes 2-3 years before I see blooms on my iris. patience is a gardening virtue.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... but their photos in PF are sooo pretty.... I want them all to bloom immediately upon planting!

Patience is often forced upon me in the garden. I think it's overrated. LOL

Yeah, I know, worth waiting for, yada yada....

Actually, first blooms are even more exciting when they take a while to arrive... but still.... :-)

I'm looking at buds right now that are showing a bit of color. My Intermediates and early TBs. i suppose the darn things will pop while I am in the Great Lakes for our daughter's Naval Boot Camp graduation this weekend.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I noticed a bud forming on one of my SDB last night. :) It's actually a bit early for this area. I usually don't see an iris bloom until the first of June.

Went out and took a close look and did a serious dosing of Bloom Booster on the iris--both bearded and siberian. I think I might have some nice flowers this spring.

I did not have much 'action' from the very early short iris I planted last summer, but I suppose I can wait another season. I'm with you, critter, patience is over-rated!

Congrats on your daughter's graduation from boot camp, wanda! She must be a real go-getter to get through that!

Amanda was a cheerleader,6 year camp couselor, 12 year Girl scout, Thespian, Choir & dance. I never would have thought that I would raise a "military" daughter. They want her for her brains in the Navy Nuclear Propulsion area. She is brilliant , but didn't bother going to college classes. She went to the Navy to get back her direction and see the world. 6 year committment. Two years of schooling to pass before they let this Nuke kid control a power station on an air craft carrier.

Amanda performs carrying the Kentucky flag in the graduation tommorrow. Wrong height to carry Iowa's. She went to the Kentucky DG Round up once, so I guess that counts. The graduation is supposed to be very moving. We are proud that she has taken this step rather than waste the brains God has given her.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda, congratulations on Amanda's accomplishments! She sounds like quite a girl.

Joan, you don't get iris bloom until June??? My first SDB opened day before yesterday! By the beginning of June, I'll be at or past full peak in my SDB beds.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Nope Laurie, it's always the first of June for me. I have that one lone rebel this year that is going to try to beat that. I don't have any buds forming on any of the other yet.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Joan, do you grow many MDBs or SDBs?

Wanda, yes, you did some good mothering there and can be proud of her. She is getting the best training at Great Lakes and Nuke School and will do very well, no doubt about it. Give her a hug for me!

My DH was in the Navy for 6 years (stationed on a carrier in CA--not nuclear in those days--and London at the embassy) and it was a terrific experience for him (and me). I have a soft spot for the young people coming in.

Laurie, I will have to have another look at your website. I think I am getting hooked on these iris!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Joan! The irises you sent me a couple years ago are budding, looks like they'll put on quite a display! Woohoooo!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yipee! I'm so glad they took off for you Jill.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Planted some iris yesterday which I brought back from our old house.Had potted them all up and had them in the cellar,some in the house.

Margie that is really interesting about bonemeal.
I use it quite often ,especially with all my roses I plant.used also with the iris.

What about alfalva ?

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

I got some iris fertilizer from Cooley's Gardens over the internet, put it on a while back. My iris are looking much better this year than they have before -- even the ones I planted late in the season.

I'm seeing a hsnful of dwarf, a handful of Intermediates & 4 early TBs in bloom. The TBs look like they will have normal bud count despite the nasty freeze in April. The folaige is recovering. I credit feeding them a couple of weeks ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.