haves/wants list always comes up as seeds

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i love this feature by the way but when you click that you have or want a plant it always comes up on your have/want list as "seeds". how do you change that to plants? i have very few seeds so i would like to get that changed. someone just this morning wrote and asked me for my daffodil seeds. lol.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

My understanding is that the default is seeds, you have to go into your trade list and then manually change each entry to plants. I don't do trading so I can't tell you exactly how to do that, if you need more help you should post this in the Plant Trading forum, either that or go to the Dave's Garden forum and read the threads there about the new tradelists, I'm sure your question has probably already been answered there.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i am sure it has too so i will try a search. thank you.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yes, you have to manually change it to something other than seeds, because it does default to seeds.

To change it, go to the Trading tab at the top of the page,
Then go to manage your trade list
Then go to your "Have" list
Click on edit in the right hand column of the plant you want to change

From there you can change it to Plants, Roots, Tubers and cuttings, or cuttings.

I think it would be nice to also have a field to choose bulbs. Bulbs don't really fit into the Roots, Tubers and cuttings category, but that's the most appropriate right now.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thank you joan. when i get time i will do them all. too bad we can't pick that when we click that we have it. oh well...we didn't have the click option a few months ago. and i am not really complaining cause i like it that we can make our trade lists this way.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

May I ask a tangential question? When we use the Plant Files to mark that we either have or are looking for something, is that information available anywhere but on the plant's page? For instance, it would seem like a good thing to have that publicly viewable on someone's profile page.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you mark that you have or want it, it also shows up on your tradelist, so if people go to your member page there's a link to your tradelist.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yes, if you click on your username it will take you to your member page where it says "View spidra's trade lists"

You can click on anyone's username and view their tradelists.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2007 8:29 PM

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks. That sounds perfect.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

another question i have. many of the plants that i have are new and are not really ready to trade. i should have put many of the plants i have in my journal instead of the trade page. is there a way to just dump the entire contents of my trade page into my journal?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to do that, you'll have to go back to the Plant Files entry and import each of them into your journal. But if you think you will have them to trade someday just not quite yet, you can click the Disable link on each one when you're in your tradelist and that way either other people can't see the plant, or they are informed that the plant isn't available for trading (I don't do tradelists so I don't know which of these is the case)

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well i didn't do one last year and i really only did it for myself so that i could check on plant information in one spot. but the problem is that people are dmailing me asking for trades and i feel like a fraud. lol. but i don't have time to fix all of that right now. on bad weather days i try to get in and change at least the seed/plant info. but even that is slow. a gardener is always busy.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

My problem is that although I may have a plant, that doesn't mean I know how to propagate it, make cuttings, etc. I'd need people to direct me.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You can always get advice on the Propagation forum, lots of experts there to help. And some people will be willing to take unrooted cuttings of certain plants if they know how to root them, so even before you figure out how to propagate things you can still trade with people who are willing to take those.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

That's good to know. I'd like to go to some conference where I can learn it hands-on. I learn much better from people than books.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Local nurseries sometimes offer weekend classes, can't remember if I've seen a propagation one, I know I've seen lots on pruning so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a propagation one sometimes too. Or you could always check out some place like Merritt College, they have a hort dept and I know they offer propagation classes as part of that program. Or if you have time to volunteer at the botanical garden I bet you could learn there too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images