japanese bunching onion

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have a Heshiko bunching onion, the sole survivor from planting seeds in 2005. It has never bunched, just gotten fatter, almost an inch in diameter now. What's it doing?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Check out post below.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 1:24 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

To me a bunching onion is one that is used as a scallion or green onion. It was my understanding that they just make a straight onion and that's it. Maybe yours is getting ready to flower and make seeds, but I wouldn't expect anything else.

Looks like it is supposed to divide. Here is what I found on the Pinetree Garden Website. Of course, it has to flower sometimes or it wouldn't make seeds which I gather you purchased. :

#W467 EVERGREEN BUNCHING HESHIKO (65 days) - $0.95

This variety produces no bulbs and also divides and thus can be considered sort of a perennial. Can be sown fairly thickly (20 seeds per square foot) either in the spring for a fall crop or in the fall for a crop the following year. Use like scallions then allow some plants to grow and each will have half a dozen narrow divisions in the fall. 400 seeds

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for researching for me. how dare I be lazy!
Pinetree is where I bought the seed. At this point, yes I think I best hope for flower and seed. As I said, tho, it never had more than one point of leaves coming out, and still does, and the leaf is huge.
Meanwhile, my sister had given me multiplying(potato) onions, so I'm swimming in scallions

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.