more potato questions

Bent Mountain, VA

we had a great crop of potatoes...tried to store most of them, but I now find that they are getting soft and are sprouting. Some of the sprouts are really long, like maybe 6 or 7 inches. I was planning on planting these...are they using too much of their stored "food source" or will they be o.k. to plant? Probably can't plant for another month or two.....how can I stop the sprouting?....what can I do with the rest of these potatoes that are getting soft?

Dayton, WA

If you can't plant those spuds for another month or two, might just as well compost em because they'll be mush by that time anyway. I know of no way to keep them from sprouting...nature does what nature does!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'd try planting them if they're just going to the compost anyway. I have volunteer potato plants from last year, so they can make it through a winter.

Dayton, WA

Oh they can definetly make it through Winter! I have volunteer spuds every year because we never get em all at harvest. The ones I don't get around to digging up stay in the ground all Winter under an 8" layer of chopped leaves mulch. I just move the mulch and harvest as needed. Still, there are bad potaotes that make it into my compost only to volunteer in the Spring!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Once I threw some into the compost pile, only later to turn the compost and find a whole bunch of potatoes growing in there. What a surprise. Obviously, my compost pile wasn't heating up very well.
Later I learned that I needed to add some nitrogen rich things to make it heat up. But finding the potatoes was fun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.