Yikes, Springhill order just arrived...HELP?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Order just arrived and the plants look to be in great shape. I have no clue wether or not I can plant these peony roots (they have eyes looking at me) outside yet or not. what do I do if they cant go outside. The instructions say its better to get them in ground, but we could still freeze here, for about another 4-6 weeks. HELP please!!
chris

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Peonies should do fine planted now. Make sure you plant the eyes at ground level or slightly below for GA. Not sure what the directions are anymore but years ago it was like 4 to 6 inches deep and that will kill them. That might be good for the North, but not here.

Whew!! Thanks for the quick answer, I am trying to post pics because I dont know which way is up on some of these :(
chris

some of these have eyes, the 2 that dont are in next post

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530

close up

sorry for being so ridiculous, but I have no clue how to plant this and the one above.
Thanks for any help,
chris

I am assuming that the eyes go up. # 1, 2 and 4 would sit in dirt just like they are.
#3 and 5 ...no clue

Put the roots down, the eyes and crown up. You'll do fine. Amend your soil and put a layer of mulch around it to get it off to a good start.

hcmcdole, the whole thing looks like a root to me. LOL. cant figure out #5. I was going to plant the rest just the way they sit in the picture because of the eyes. Hope it works. Thanks

Not sure what you are calling number 5, but I assume it is the one on the bottom of the first picture and the second picture, right? The thickest end would be the crown and the thinner end would be some of the rootstock. Point the rootstock down. If you ever have any doubt which end is up on any bulb, rootstock, rhizome, etc. just plant horizontally (not deep) and let the plant point the way. That is also a suggestion on how to keep fritillaria imperialis (crown imperial) from rotting (plant it sideways or horizontally).

Yes thats the one I am talking about. Good thing these were fairly cheap, its going to be trial and era. BTW, instructions now say 2" below ground. Maybe I will go a little less than that.

Yes, definitely do not plant that deep. I did that when I first started and killed everyone. I read a year or later that for the South, plant the eyes at ground level or slightly below grade (1/2 inch maybe). Once they establish themselves, you will see that the eyes will be poking through at ground level in late winter. They love full sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.