Help!...smoke is backing into my house

Santa Rosa, CA

I am looking for some help.

I get a situation occasionally (like last night) where I fire up the cold wood stove and smoke pours back into the house as if the chimney is blocked.

I have a 10 year old Lopi Liberty stove that works great. We burn fires nearly every night here in northern California. A couple times a year it seems the chimney is working backwards, where cold air in the stovepipe prevents smoke from rising. Smoke comes out from the stove air vent and into the house. Of course as the cold air "plug" is pushed out the stovepipe and corrects the flow, everything works as it should but by then, my house is full of smoke.

How common is this? 99 out of 100 times, there is no problem and I get normal flow up the stovepipe. It is that 1% that fills my house with smoke. How do I know when it will happen? How do I prevent it?

Any suggestions?

This thread has 18 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!