Perennials that bloom in late September, early October

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I am having a garden wedding in my yard October 6, and I want to have lots of things blooming at that time. I know I can put annuals in that should still be in bloom at that time, but can y'all help me by suggesting some perennials that are at their peak at about that time?

Thanks in advance,
Mary

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Mums are the only thing I can think of that would be right for a wedding. Some asters may last that long.

Cicero, IL(Zone 5a)

Dear Mary,

If you've got decent soil and can purchase them in the spring go with Japanese Anenomes. Some good cultivars are Honorine (white), September Charm (dark pink). They really stunning.

For poorer soil, try Obedient Plant (light pink to dark). It will still be blooming well. However, it can be fairly invasive although it's very easy to dig out. A better behaved cultivar is 'Miss Manners' (white flowers).

Orange Coneflower (Rudbeckbia speciosa) will also still be blooming well into October. It's very easy to establish, grows quickly and isn't too invasive. Will also take poor soil. Most common cultivar is 'Goldstrum' which has larger flowers than the species.

Dendrathemas - these are asterlike flowers. Need decent soil. Come in white, pink, purples, magentas.

Asters - New England Aster is the most reliable and will take the worst kind of soil. There's also the cultivars of NE Aster such as 'Alma Potchke', 'Purple Dome'. The cultivars are pickier and will need better drained soil (they are also more shortlived) whereas the straight species will take any soil and abuse and self-seed readily.

Smooth Blue Aster - Native species. Has beautiful powder blue flowers on steel blue foliage. Looks good paired with New England Aster as a contrast. Since smooth blue is shorter I have this in front of a New England Aster.

Knockout Roses - These come in Light Pink to dark. They bloom non-stop from June through early November.

If you can, I would also includes some grasses which look great in the fall: Pennisetum, Prairie Dropseed, Moor Grass, Miscanthus sinensis, Little & Big Blustem, Switchgrass.

Included a picture of the Japanese Anenomes with Knockout Roses and a Prairie Dropseed in stone urn. Picture is from mid-September.

Thumbnail by GoNative
Cicero, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's also a picture of NE Aster just starting to bloom in mid-September. Behind it is Rudbeckia nitida (which is also a tall type of coneflower). It too also will bloom into early October.

Thumbnail by GoNative
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Monkshood has some very late blooming varieties and are unusual and beautiful.

My reblooming iris Immortality bloomed in mid September in my zone 5 garden.

Blackberry Lily (Belamcanda) has the seed pods that are pretty too.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Salvia leucantha is a late blooming perennial (annual in our climate).
It grows very quickly in a single growing season to a very showy autumn display of beautiful fuzzy purple flowers.
There are several cultivars with various other color options.
But it's very easy to grow. Available by mail order from numerous sources. Needs sun. Blooms 'til frost. 3-4 ft tall.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Dahlias might fit your needs well.
Pineapple safe is another late bloomer. I still had several vines, rudbeckias, echinacea balloon flowers, pentas, and fushias blooming in October last year.
Many foliage plants could still be factors late in the season.

Thumbnail by jmorth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.