michigan daylily growers......

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Do any of you attend local daylily meetings or daylily clubs?
I know the closest meeting place to me is a CMU-im thinking of attending a meeting to
see what its all about
Are any of you garden judges? i may want to do this!
Have you ever been to centerpiece daylily farm-Bruce kovach place?

thanks
dori

Thumbnail by notmartha
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Hello Dori,

We have a family membership in the The Southern Michigan Hemerocallis Society
http://www.daylilyclub.com

We joined last year, but haven't been to any meetings yet. Most meetings are held in Birmingham, so it's a bit of a drive. We did participate in the Exhibition last year and manage to see a couple gardens on the Garden Tour they had.

We're looking forward to attending the Spring Banquet (Program: Ohio Hybridizer Jamie Gossard).
The banquet is being held in Warren, so a bit closer for us than Birmingham.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 10:27 AM

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I thought maybe someone would like more details about the SMHS April Banquet:

Our SMHS (Southern Michigan Hemerocallis Society) dinner with Jamie
Gossard from Ohio is on Saturday, April 21, 2007. Jamie is bringing
lots of luscious plants to be auctioned off. Jamie is well known for
his northern hardy spiders and unusual forms.

Dress ranges from casual to sorta dressed up. There are raffles,
auctions, power point productions and the usual merriment and fellowship.
New friends and old meet here every year. It is scheduled for Saturday,
April 21, 2007, at Crank's Banquet Hall ( in The Embers Room), 27900
Hoover Road, Warren, MI ( Crank's phone is 586-582-0080). Social hour and
cash bar at 6 p.m.; dinner at 7 p.m.

For those who have not made arrangements yet, there are still some
seats available. If you're procrastinating you need to get your
reservations in soon. Tickets are $25 for SMHS members, $30 for
non-members.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Kathy I think i may want to make that-i luv gossard daylilies!!!
so how would i go about doing that>?
maybe i will get a room for the night and take the family!

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 11:21 AM

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm really looking forward to it too Dori! I love Gossard cultivars, even though I've just discovered them recently. Several are on their way to me this spring.

It's only an hour drive for us, so My husband and son will be going with me to the dinner .....

You can MAKE ARRANGEMENTS to reserve your places by contacting the treasurer ARNIE OSELAND at arnieoseland@yahoo.com . CHECKS made out to SMHS and noted in lower left corner as "annual dinner" can be sent to
Arnie at 4849 Herd Road, Metamora, MI 48455.

I'd email him before sending a check, or I have a phone number for him, but I don't want to post it here. If you want the phone number email me and I can send it to you privately.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's another tip that they had in the email about the banquet:

AND to make it easy on yourself it's a GOOD AND EASY IDEA to bring return address mail labels to use on the MANY MANY raffle tickets you will buy. It is much easier to read off a name than it is to keep track of and look for a number. BRING MONEY for all those luscious things that will get raffled off and for all those delectable daylilies that Jamie is bringing!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

WHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN its snowing here

i painted the kitchen today-tomorrow second coat! tonight i took a hot jet bath for my aching arms!!!
cant wait for this weekend and highs in the MID 40s- oh ya oh ya

Is paul in florida now????-oh paul your so BAD!!!!!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

We got about 3 inches of snow last night!

I heard the weatherman say "50" in his forecast for the Detroit area. Maybe we will hit the 40's this weekend, heck we'll think it's spring and the kids will refuse to wear their coats. Before you know it we'll be in "mud season".

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

4 inches here overnight, but the sun is shining brightly!! Supposed to warm up some and then back into the deep freeze in a week or so. Will this ever end? I'm banking on 70's in April....

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm going to the spring banquet Kathy, hope to meet you!!!!

Cindy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i dont think i will be there-mushroom season!!!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Cindy, that's great! Are you coming alone? (Husband and son Joe are going with me)

Sorry we won't see you there Dori, but I bet you will enjoying those Mushrooms. Do you gather Morels?

I think they are going to have name tags, so that should help us find anyone we "know virtually".

Here's a picture of us from Christmas .... I did a bit of cut and paste. ;)

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I just got this in my inbox .............. Maybe we can all attend one of these meetings.

GUEST SPEAKER PROGRAMS

LOCATON: Banquet, Raffle, Auction Crank’s - Warren

April 21 JAMIE GOSSARD . . . Heavenly Gardens . . .Galloway, Ohio - www.daylilytrader.com

May 11 CURT HANSON . . .Crintonic Gardens . . . Gates Mill, Ohio www.crintonicgardens.com

August 10 LUDLOW LAMBERTSON . . . Art Gallery Gardens . . . Lake Helen, Florida www.artgallerygardens.com

October 12 GUS GUZINSKI . . . Kalamazoo, Mi . . . will discuss scientific daylily culture

November 2 NIKKI SCHMITH . . . Club Member . . .PowerPoint training program so you can put together all your beautiful gardens in your own presentation !

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I talked my husband into coming with me. I don't like to drive very far from home at night. My vision is not great night driving. The food is what convinced him to go. lol

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm with you about driving at night Cindy ......... and if it's raining it makes it worse.

I'll be watching for you.

Kathy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes arliene got me into the Morels a few yrs back and now the whole family goes -shrooming!

sorry we wont be there! :( have fun!!!!!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Now, that's a skill I'd like to learn. (identifying Morels ...)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I absolutely love mushrooms. Sounds like fun.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

DH and I went mushrooming a few years ago. Got lost in the ups and downs of state land near Cadillac. We spend hours wandering around. We could hear traffic,so headed towards the sound. Finally hit a road, but we couldn't decide which way to walk. Of course it was a cloudy day too. Hours later we recognized some landmarks.

We were dying of thirst - even the thrown away bottles on the side of the road started to look tastey! It was a nightmare. Haven't gone back since...but if anyone is making a slew of them, I'll come over!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.