asparagus- help

Sedalia, MO

I want to plant asparagus this year, but I have a small garden. It says it should be four ft wide, that would be aboute half of my garden, can you plant hem closer with good results? I still want to be able to plant tomatoes and peppers, and squash. May have to find a place next to a fence somewhere else in the yard.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

There is an aspargus varitey, purple passion that is recommended to plant closer, using a 6-8" spacing between plants.

Here's more info:

http://www.noursefarms.com/catalog/Product/ASPARAGUS/AR-PP/Purple%20Passion.aspx

Also, that website has excellent planting and growing advice. I got my asparagus from them and they were nice healthy plants.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Also wanted to say that my asparagus is off by itself. It does get quite fluffy. I would find a spot away from the other stuff. And it's perennial so you can plant it and leave it there, while your other veggies will have to be planted and pulled each year. This is my cat Henry sitting amongst the aparagus ferns. He likes to nap under them sometimes too.

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Sedalia, MO

Thanks so much for the tips. I love the cat, and your asparagus looks really green and healthy. I love asparagus, and decided to grow it for myself this year. Will check out the link. Thanks again

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Asparagus is a really heavy feeder and needs a lot of space to spread. The spacing requirements I've seen on Purple Passion is 18 inches, not 8, so I would guess that's a typo.

At any rate, cram too many in too little space and you'll just be starving the plants for nutrients and space and that will mean little or no yields eventually.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.