CLOSED: Need an ID please

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

I was visiting the Pale Male website and saw a familiar looking bird in an unfamiliar color. It is the second photo down on the page. Does anyone recognize it? http://palemale.org/

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

My guess is: Rusty Blackbird

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd say a leucistic Common Grackle. The bill is much too stout for Rusty Blackbird, and the tail has that 'v'-effect that grackles have.

Resin

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the quick replies. Resin, I had never heard the term "leucistic" before, thanks for teaching me a new word. Now I am wondering - for several months I have been noticing a very pale Canada Goose that I assumed was some kind of cross, but now I think it could be an example of leucism.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, I've seen leucistic Canada Geese too. Leucism is birds (or other animals) with 'washed-out' colours, as opposed to albinism (pure white) or partial albinism (patches of pure white); there is also melanism (black), erythrism (redder/oranger than usual), and one or two others.

As a general trend, birds with colours deviating from the normal tend to be more frequent in urban areas, probably largely because predators (which tend to weed out conspicuous odd-looking individuals) are less common, possibly also because of mutations caused by pollution (not proven).

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.