Rare or unusual melons

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I just purchased some seed for the collective farm woman melon , the pictures I've seen , some of the melons are green then orange when ripened other pictures the melon is yellow when ripened.

Any clues? and can I collect seed off these melons if their grown in the same area as other melons?

I also bought the tigger melon and a few others I can't remember, we're fanatics about unusual melons I love to try new ones, but don't usually collect seed because their all so closely planted together. I'd like to save seed off the collective farmwoman because , their not cheap seeds LOL

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Baker Creek says that Collective Farm Woman ripens to a yellow gold.

If the melons are planted close to other varieties, the chance for mixing the seed is high. I suppose you could cover someof the little female blossoms the day before they open and hand pollinate with pollen from a male blosson of the same plant and then cover the blossom til evening....or plant them 200 feet from other melons.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, I'll probably not gather any seed, I knew that melons crossed. I'd rather buy them yearly I guess, so I can grow several variety.

thanks

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I too like to raise many varieties and use the old seed for 2 or 3 years...or more.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

do you ever get any strange crosses? when you save your seed

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't save melon seed. I do have strange volunteer squash/pumpkins come up though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.