Need advise on mower/muncher etc

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi all,
Of course being the new kid "in town" I need lots of advise concerning gardening in Georgia. I come from Holland where the grass is lush green (no...it's not always greener on the other side of the fence!!!), soil is soft, mushy, easy to dig in to. Cold climate and lots of rain does have it's advantages I guess???
Now I come to the point where we are deciding on lawn mower, shredder/chipper, mulcher or all of the above in one. What I want is to be able to mulch small branches and twiggs, leaves, pine needles and pref. the cones too. And of course once the yard is renovated we need a lawn mower. For American standards we don't have a big lawn, I think the whole lot stand on 1/3 of an acre (including house). Could be 1/4 of an acre, I'm not sure, I basically have grown up with mē.
Who can advise me a bit or give me good wbsites to check..
Thanks everybody. BTW the weather is picking up, is it? Lovely, soooo amazing to me. In Holland you basically don''t see much sun until late march/april, leave alone having warmish weather.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

There are a lot of mulching mowers around. I'd check with the building supply stores, hardware stores, and even the discount stores. I bought a Troy-Bilt from Lowe's but couldn't even start it up out of the box, so back it went and traded it for a Husqvarna with a Honda engine. It has less power than the Troy-Bilt but seems to get the job done unless the grass gets too high which slows down the process. Make sure you get a self-propelled mulching mower unless you want to rake or bag. I hate mowing but at least with mulching, the job goes quicker. Most mowers will easily mulch pine cones, leaves, and small twigs. Troy-bilt does have mowers that have a chipper chute for bigger branches. If you have lots of brush consider buying a chipper/shredder or renting one. Chipper - shredders can be dangerous (I about cut my finger off with the one I have) so be careful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.