winter squash planting time

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

When do I start my winter squash in zone 8?

P

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm curious too, I've read here in zone 7 late ormiddle august. It would have to be that time, for here, because by the time their read y to harvest, it's almost freezing time. I'll have to be out there planting in l00 degree weather if I want winter squash . Guess you'd be in the same boat . I love those winter squashes though, more than the summer ones.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I always start mine too early and leave them on the vine too long then you can't cut them with a power saw...LOL

I love butternut squash baked then add a big blob of butter,sprinkled heavy w/ sugar and cinammon.Sometimes I make pies with them too.

P

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH gosh, my mouth is watering now, I love butternut too.

I got some new squash this year to pl,ant in the fall, hope Ilike them, never had the hubbard, hope it's good too.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Back in my novice days of gardening I tried blue hubbard and long island cheese. Didn't come out so well but I'd like to try some more....once I use up the seeds I already have. Too many seeds...not enough dirt*G*

Johnny's has a melon called "Butterscotch" that's yummy. I think it's a honey dew. I raised them one year,gave one to a neighbor,he was back almost daily after the first one wanting more.

Was hoping to get the rest of my leaves burned off in the garden and tilling done today but it looks like rain so I'll be working in the greenhouses instead.

P

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I usually start my Blue Hubbard in the ground around mid to late May, when the ground is warmed up well. Blue Hubbard is my favorite squash although they're big, you'll have to share them with neighbors when you cut one open. But, they're worth growing, not much work, just keep them weeded.

Here's a picture of a couple of mine, 20 and 25 lbs.

edited to add: These take about 120 days to maturity, so you'll have to count back about 4 months from your first frost date to direct seeding.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2007 9:39 AM

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks big red, I guess that's a good way to plant all winter squash, to count back, that way we know they'll be more than picked by the time frost gets here, I planted some squash in the fall once, and didn't get to harvest them, it was a big waste.

Those are huge hubbards. I got the baby hubbard seed too, along with the black futso I think that's spelled wrong. i'm planning on getting a couple more winter squash to store for winter, or ones that will store a long time.

thanks for the info.

kathy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Holy cow! 20-25 lbs!! There's only two of us here. We'd be eating squash for a week off one squash...LOL

P

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

P,

There are only two of us, also.

We cook down the whole squash, mash it and add seasoning to taste, and spoon it into serving size Zip-Lock bags and freeze. This is the only way we've found to freeze squash that's fit to eat after thawing out. It's great!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

hey , that's not too bad, if you fix it then freeze it. I didn't know that the blue hubbard got that big. I wonder if one could lpick them smaller sized?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I 'm sorry this is a bit off P's topic, was wondering how you fixed that bluehubbard? cut in half and bake it?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

kathy_ann,

If you pick them earlier they would still be green and it wouldn't be good.

I wash mine, cut it into 3 or 4" chunks, put it in a large pot (shell and all), fill pot about 1/3 full of water and simmer until done. Then scoop it out of the shell with a tablespoon. Mash, season and freeze.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's easy enough. thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.