How to care for heucheras

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have planted heucheras for the very first time, and I need to know how to take care of them. Are you supposed to trim off the older outer leaves in the Spring? Do they prefer acidic, alkaline, or neutral soil? I have one in the garden and one in a pot. Do they need much water during the Summer? I get rain all winter here, and only sporadic rain July and August. Any other tips greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.

Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

maury,
Which cultivars of Heuchera do you have? There are different requirements for different cultivars.
I usually clean up older leaves when new growth starts in the spring. Heaving is a problem for me even though I use a evergreen bough mulch after the ground freezes here. After heaving I try pushing the plant back, and/ or add soil on top. As for soil I haven't found them (in general) too fussy but most like a well drained moist spot. I do water in the summer in July and August when it gets hot here. Interestingly, the seedlings I found grew in a very acidic damp spot among the moss, and in between stepping stones. I have heavy clay amended with lots of compost so I just don't let them get too dry in the summer. Read through some of the threads on this site, some cultivars are harder to work with depending on where you live.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

maury,
The only time I trim leaves is if they are dead. You can cut back in Spring and get it to bush out more. As far as soil goes, just generally well drained soil and water when needed in the months without enough rain.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for your replies. I also have heavy clay soil, though I put a lot of compost in it before planting. I have 2 heucheras: Caramel, pictured above, in a spot that gets afternoon sun and Snow Angel (variegated green and white) that is in a pot in a location that gets morning sun. I also have a tiarella Sugar and Spice that is in minimal shade with mid day sun. It sounds like I will need to keep aware of the water situation in the Summer. I will wait to trim them back I guess, until new leaves show significant growth.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

My dirt is very different here, but the zone is close to the same. I don't know what variety I have. I have one planted in shade of a live oak that stays evergreen and needs no supplemental water. I have another (same variety) under a pecan tree that seems to have died down for the winter or maybe it's just gone. I noticed today that it was gone. The only thing I have found so far that does really well under my pecan tree is oxalis, the pink kind. I have toad lilies, but they haven't spread. I have leucojum that hasn't bloomed. Daffodils are doing OK.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

maury,
They don't need a lot of water, just when you're going through a drought I give mine and extra dose, otherwise the only time I water them regularly is when I first plant them to get them established

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I too have clay for soil...though the bed is a bit raised... i'm hoping to get enough compost and fresh black dirt/potting soil (and maybe even some polymer crystals) in there to make it optimal conditions for it.... I'm planting Peppermint Spice today... and getting 3 plum puddings next month (which is really right around the corner)

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I think our conditions are near perfect in the PNW for heucheras. I haven't trimmed them or mulched yet but they're all very happy. Good luck, they're addictive! I give them a MG spray once or twice and water at least weekly in the summer.

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Katy, what a beautiful, colorful scene!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ditto that,,,it's gorgeous.

Falls Church, VA

I've heard that they like soil on the alkaline side.

Winnebago, IL

I trimmed back several of my heucheras early thinking I was just making them look cleaner. Unfortunately, I must have caused them too much stress because they stopped growing. I live in zone 4/5, so it's possible the weather was still too cold for the spring trimming. All the rest of my heucheras are showing good growth, so I cautiously trimmed up some others and they're doing great.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

My Caramel, pictured above, started leafing out nicely earlier in the Spring and was looking good for about a month. Then the outer leaves, new ones, started turning brown and crispy around the edges and dying. I moved the plant to a shadier spot this past weekend, hoping that it is just sun scald. The nursery said this variety was o.k. for full sun, but maybe not.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

maury,
I have mine in full sun all a.m.until about 1:00. I do have some winter damage though. Hope yours springs back for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.