Daikon Starting To Bloom (is this bad?)

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

My Daikon's are blooming I think (they are sprouting shoots that look a little like mini broccoli). They aren't as big as I want them to be yet (they are about the size of a very large carrot, but I want them bigger). Do I have to pull them up now, or will they get bigger even after they bloom?

Thanks for the advice

p.s - finally ordered a new digital camera, so maybe I can share pics of the spring/summer garden this year :-)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Typically when they send up seedheads, the quality of the root deteriorates rapidly,

Ah bummer! Oh well, I'll pull them up then. Maybe I didn't water them enough and they got stressed - doesn't seem like they should already be going to seed. They are very healthy looking. Whatever, I am making pickles with them and I'll eat some of them raw - so I guess I'll just get started :-)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Just about all brassicas will go to seed when day lenght increases after they have overwintered. In you area you shold probably plant early enough for harvest in November/December, they will probably hold in the gound through January into February but by late February early March, bolting will begin. There are many cultivars of winter radish and they vary a lot in size. Some of the carrot shaped ones get big some don't.

Yes, I think I'll plant earlier this year (like Sept or Oct) so they will get bigger. I think I planted these in November. I am afraid to plant my winter stuff too early because it's still warm here up until Halloween, and it doesn't start geting cold until after Thanksgiving.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

If they're all the same variety, you may want to let them bolt and save the seeds. You'll be amazed at how many you'll get back.

Good idea. Last year I saved the seeds from my Hon Tsi Dai (I think that's how it's spelled - it's kind of a cross between cabbage and spinach) and I grew them again this winter. I'll leave some alone and get the seeds from them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.