How one can get rid of old stones, rubble and the like

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

When I arrived in my present house it was very old and half-ruined, it needed a lot of repairs and reforms to make it livable. These repairs were done over many years to spread the costs. Unavoidably, after each repair, at least the ones I did myself, I ended up with a lot of rubble, left-overs of cement etc..
As it is very costly to ask for a container every time, (I have no car) I had to be inventive.
A lot of the rubble and left-overs, I got rid of in my cellar, where I made stone benches to store things on, so they keep dry, when the cellar starts to get water after long periods of heavy rain showers;
This is how I did it:
I first made a little wall of left-overs of stones some distance away from the walls of the cellar, then left it a day to harden, then piled up the stones and rubble in the space formed by the little wall and the cellar wall, then poured in the cement as a glue for the rubble. I left that another day to settle and harden an the next day I smoothed out the top surface with a fresh layer of cement.
I have these little stone benches now all along the walls of my cellar.
In this case I reached two goals: I got rid of the rubble and have now very solid, benches to store my things out of the reach of the water in the occasional floatings

Another application of the same method I used to make stone walls and steps in my garden, only in this case I didn't make the surface smooth but rough, to invite the very desired mosses , and that old ancient weathered look I love.
I noticed that the process of weathering and beginning of moss growth was speeded up when I rubbed in some dirt before the cement was hardened.

This is an example of a step I made to give access to the roof of my little shed (It was send before in the fern, fungi and moss-forum, but given here again by the suggestion of Wallaby1)

Thumbnail by bonitin
This thread has 43 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!