Bees invading our birdhouse!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

You've heard of bats in the belfry; well, we've got bees in the birdhouse. The bees are taking over our birdhouse!!!

We just noticed this today... Not sure what to do about it. The pic doesn't do it justice. I took these pics from inside the house from our garden window. There are SO MANY bees flying around it and around the side area of our house.

We're thinking, wait until dark, put on hat, thick jacket and gloves and run out, paste a chunk of duct tape over the hole and then run back inside.

I don't wanna spray it with any bug killer (I've got the shooting wasp killer in a can) b/c then it might be harmful to the birds who will be moving in in the spring...

What's the best way to deal with this?

Thumbnail by FondOfFronds
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

well last night I put a chunk of duct tape over the hole. All the bees must have been inside, as there was no activity outside.
Only one bee crawling on the birdhouse this morning... seems to have worked. Looks like it was trying to get in, looking for a crack in the roof shingles. But maybe they're busy chewing through the tape from the inside, we'll see...

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

If you know of a local beekeeper, you could just have them come in and remove the queen. The nest would be deserted within a day. Also, since that's a birdhouse, I'm assuming there are aeration holes somewhere on it. They can also use those holes to fly in and out. That's weird that they'd take up shop in such a small space.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

I would just leave them alone and let them set up housekeeping. Right now beekeepers are having a lot of problems with hive dieoff. No one seems to know why or what is going on. It is apparently widespread because we have heard of it happening on the west coast and several nights ago saw a segment of news from New Jersey about hive dieoff there.

Did you know that if the bees in the world die off, then humans will cease to exist in about 5 - 10 yrs. As soon as food reserves ran out that would be the end of things. Without bees food crops are not pollinated and without food crops we cease to exist. Something to think about. Pls. see if you can find a local beekeeper. Contact your county extension agent and they should be able to give you the names of several. LIZ

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

We just put a piece of duct tape over the hole at night when there were no bees around and it solved the problem. The bees came back the next few days, but within four days they were all gone.

Scary thought about the bees dying off like that. Wouldn't that be weird if they did? Here we all are worrying about global warming (Pres. Bush not withstanding) and in the end it would be the bees... Go figure.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh, I hope you didn't kill off a queen & therefore a colony. Any beekeeper would have come & rescued the hive for you.

The bees are in worse shape than birds right now, and you even would have had honey this fall.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

oops

This message was edited Mar 25, 2007 11:21 PM

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

When we took the tape off, there was nothing in there. Just some seeds in the bottom. So there was never a Queen in there... As they say in Texas, they were "fixin'" to set up shop in there but I think the tape worked well. No harm, no foul.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

How about birds then?
I've got birds nesting all over the place, wherever I DON'T want them, like under the garage eaves, but they have shunned every birdhouse I've ever hung!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

No birds, no bees. That birdhouse is just sitting there now, waiting for something to happen.

North Andrews Garden, FL

yesterday bees moved into my 4 tier bird house. not sure wht to do about it. i dont mind as long as they dont bother me. i may call a bee keeper at the county extension office. not sure yet. been raining alot and have been very bsuy wirth other things lately....

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

That's great! How come bees never move into mine?
They shouldn't be a problem -- honeybees aren't protective unless you actually threaten the hive by banging on it or knocking it over (which I've done).

It's really alarming when I heard about the problem with bees that die off recently. I hope there's still time to save some bees as they are a source of a honey and propolis which are known to have several benefits.

chiang mai, Thailand

Tell me please how do you treat bee stings. I found this http://keepingbee.org/bee-stings-pictures-bee-stings-picture/
maybe you know smth special.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.