Baby greens in container help?

Farmingdale, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi! I'm brand new to growing most things and I have just planted a mesclun mix that I bought in a nursery flat as an experiment. I am accustomed to growing wheatgrass and you really load up on seeds for that. Well, wheat seeds are much bigger than greens seeds and I think I put down way too many seeds. Can anyone tell me what is the normal amount of seeds or spacing that should be used for baby greens like you get in the grocery store..ala the baby spinach leaves size? I've just read 1/2 an inch spacing per plant and I believe I've put down about 800 seeds in my little tray so it might be micro greens for me this time??? LOL. Additionally, I want to grow the greens in litter box containers as I have 4 of them that haven't been used. Is the depth of a litter box ok for baby or full grown lettuce/spinach/mesclun or do I need a deeper container. Keeping them watered is no problem.

Thanks for any help as I am a doofus. : -)

edit to add litter box depth is 4.5 inches.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2007 4:33 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I would think its deep enough. As the seeds sprout you can thin out the baby plants. If you leave them all, they would be really spindly I think.
Disclaimer- I have never done this

Farmingdale, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks sallyg!

They are all sprouting already. It's so cool to watch them pop up!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Glory, there is nothing more satisfying than to see your seeds popping out of the ground. I don't know how big an area you put 800 seeds in but you may have to toss them. If they are that small, maybe the best thing for you to do would be to get some sand, not sure what kind but they sell it at the nurseries, or Home Depot etc. mix your seeds with some sand and put the mix in a salt shaker and sow them that way. No, I don't believe the litter box (I am not sure how big it is. Don't have a cat) would be either too big, or too deep. As a matter fact, I do believe the roots on that small stuff won't go that deep.

Don't know about full grown spinach or lettuce. That might be a different story. Hopefully someone with a little bit more experience will jump in.

Also, you might want to use some scissors and cut the leaves before they get too big and have a nice salad. That way they will keep producing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.