Hartford Flower Show

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

It 's vastly improved at the new convention center location. More vendors- with actual plants! More room to move, better air circulation, and many more places to sit and take a load off. I had sworn off the show in years past; it was stuffy, with no place for my mother to rest, lousy crafty items instead of real plants, seeds, etc., etc.

It's not as good as Boston or Philadelphia, but much better than it has been. Seeing the colors and smelling the fresh mulch did wonders for my winter blues. I actually enjoy the garden club competitions (!) and the landscape installations are welcome sights (though they always seem the same to me year after year. Rock lined "water features" and lots of rhodies- ho hum. Still waiting for one to make me say "wow!")

Today's the last day- and I heard that bargains are to be had by the vendors & exhibitors who don't want to haul their stock back home. So if you have the time & inclination, you should check it out if you're in CT or MA. Off route 91 it's a quick zip in and out of the enclosed parking lot too. No more hustling across the unpaved, wind blown parking lot of the Expo Center with your 77 year old mother in tow!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I kept debating yesterday about going. I'm sorry I didn't go. Thanks for the feedback on the new site.
Dave

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a good way to blow away some winter blues.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Oh maaan. I didn't know about that show. I'm all set to go to the one in Philly however. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I thought about going - but was terrified about getting lost in Hartford. Though we have lived in Springfield since 2002 - we really only know how to get to work and to Lowes or HD.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Seandor, That is funny! Springfield is about 25 miles from Hartford isn't it?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes - but have you seen how people drive in Massachusetts? When we arrived, we assumed we had to relearn how to drive since nothing we knew seemed to apply (like stopping at yellow lights, heck even red lights seemed optional). So we memorized a few safe routes to places we needed to go like the doctors, to work, and to the hardware stores. We have made it to Mark Twain's House. And we have driven to Logan Airport. But mostly, taking to the roads here is almost a suicide mission.

We were utterly amazed when we received the state driving booklet to find out the regulations were almost identical to those in BC. Apparently, traffic regulation is almost never enforced.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

So you've driven in Boston (to get to the airport)? That is the craziest place to drive!

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I guess none of you have driven in the Bronx. They tap you from behind if you're going too slow.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

This could be the next reality TV show. America's craziest drivers. Will your town win?!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've driven in the Bronx and I spent time, daily, on the L.I.E. for years but driving in Boston is a horror. I'll take our "rush hour" with all five cars anytime.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave47 - we drove to Logan Airport using the Big Dig - before it started falling apart. People tell us that this new route is infinitely easier than the old route (well, until you had to worry about cement blocks dropping and killing you . . . did you know there is a non-profit organization that conducts international comparisons on levels of corruption? Apparently, the least corrupt people live in Finland. I suggest we get them to build our highways and bridges . . . maybe then our transportation systems will be well built and on budget :-)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Funny! I think we will end up with about 15 years construction on the Q bridge in New Haven(On interstate 95)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.