Indigo Bunting

Melbourne, FL

Resin identified my female a few days ago, and this morning I finally spotted the elusive male.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Here is a male with a couple of either female Indigos or perhaps young males, with a greenish female Painted Bunting.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Nice one!

They're likely just with you on passage, before moving further north to breed; the distribution maps show them as breeding only in the far north of Florida.

Resin

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Congratulations gardenpom;,,,

You cought that little joker hiding in the bushes!!!..... It's hard to tell if that other one is a female or a young male that hasn't got it's color yet...... Might be a young male.....It looks like there might be a hint of blue showing up on it's tail feathers from looking at the picture......

I hope it's a good year for them this summer up here......... Feed em good!!..We don't want them traveling hungry now!!.....LOL

....Dave

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Fabulous!!! What an incredible color the male is. Great shots, Gardenpom!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

We have lots of the Indigo's.. They are frequent guest at our feeder's.. Great pics.

Larkie

Fort White, FL

Looks like Melbourne is a great place to see beautiful birds! Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

What a handsome fella! Just lovely!!! Thanks for inspiring us with the photos! :-) :-)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

The only time I see an indigo bunting is through photo's, Thanks for posting these

Melbourne, FL

A few more shots from today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second shot. I would delete this if I could, since the trademark went right through the birds head.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 11:43 AM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Feeder shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Really good pics! I love the first one.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That feeder shot really gives a good perspective on the indigo bunting's size when compared to that dove.

Melbourne, FL

A couple shots I got today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Hebron, KY

Gardenpom,

What kind of seeds do you put out on the feeder that the Indigo Bunting eating from? What kind of feeder is it that he's eating at? We get the Indigo Buntings every Summer, but they don't go to our feeders and they don't eat the seeds I put out for the ground feeding birds either. Thanks!

Marilyn

Melbourne, FL

Mine have eaten from all three of my feeders at one time or another, a fly-through feeder, a chalet-type feeder and a caged feeder I bought especially for the Painted Buntings. They are mostly eating broken sunflower hearts, but have eaten from a feeder than contains various bird seeds also.

Hebron, KY

Quoting:
and a caged feeder I bought especially for the Painted Buntings

What kind of feeder is that? Do you have any photos of it? Did you buy it online?

Marilyn

Pine City, MN(Zone 4a)

I have only ever seen them passing through Minnesota. Beautiful birds and photos.

Marlton, NJ

Heres a site that has some and I've also seen them at Pet Smart.

http://www.rachelsrobin.com/shop/caged-feeders.php?ps_session=358ea2eb17c18e58b475f2360df6b5d4

Melbourne, FL

I was afraid they would not use the cage feeder, but they went right to it. I got mine at Duncraft.com Here is a pic of a female and male Painted Bunting in the feeder.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Fort White, FL

gardenpom: There you go again...with a fabulous picture of both male and female painted bunting!
I'm comin' to your house to find out how you do it....LOL.
Joyce

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Great pictures of the Indigo Buntings. Each year a few areas of foxtail grass seem to make it thru some of my weedings and go to seed. Thats when I will see those Indigo Buntings in my garden. The males size and color are so easy to notice.Both the female and males are lots of fun to watch though. Wonder if they would come to a feeder in the summer? I usually just feed the birds in the cooler seasons.
Cuckoo

Hebron, KY

Gardenpom,

Great pic of the Painted Buntings! Is that Finch Mix in the feeder? I'll have to look at the caged feeders at Duncraft, do you remember which one it is?

Marilyn

Melbourne, FL

I use a basic finch mix, including sunflower chips, for the Buntings. The feeder I got is number 25003, it's called the Weather Guard.

Melbourne, FL

A few pics from today. First up, a female Indigo Bunting- or maybe a young male.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2007 6:24 AM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second, a male Indigo.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Lastly, a male with what I believe to be a female (L), and young male (R).

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Wake Forest, NC

Most beautiful. I have never seen an indigo bunting. I live in NC - guess they are not around here. They are just magnificiant.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Just wondering what are they eating from these feeders? millet seeds, thistle, ???

Cuckoo

Melbourne, FL

This feeder is the one I put a mix of all kinds of seed and food in, including peanuts and raisins....even leftover food from my lovebirds and parakeets. Sunflower seed and some breads occasionally. It varies from day to day.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, great shots!!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Sure love that deep color in these pictures. They are so clear too!

Cuckoo

Bristol, NH

Even a picture as beautiful as yours can't do justice to ithe blue of an indigo bunting. Here in N.H. I love to see male indigo's,rose-breasted grosbeak's ,cardinals and goldfinch all at the feeder at the same time.That is eye candy! I wish we had painted buntings also.Jane

Melbourne, FL

Several shots from this morning. First up, male Indigo.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Male Indigo

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Young male Indigo, just coloring up.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2007 3:17 PM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Female Indigo Bunting.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I want some of those birds, maybe one will get lost and come to my area (lol)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.