Trumpet Vine?

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I have very fond memories of a HUGE trumpet vine growing in our backyard when I was just a little girl. I thought it was absolutely the most beautiful flower I had ever seen and my brother and I use to pick the flowers and pretend to play the trumpet with them. I've read lots about them being invasive, but have never experienced that, I think it's just a warmer climate problem.

Anyway, I was telling my 10 yr DD the other day how much I would love to grow one. She went to Meijer with her grandma (my Mom) and DD bought a vine for me! Thing is, it looks like a stick in a box. I don't have any experience with these and the instructions just say to stick them in the ground. I'm leery. I planted a fern that came in a box like that a few years ago and it didn't do anything. If I remember correctly, it's just packed in sawdust or a sawdust type material.

Should I soak the roots? I'm thinking of soaking them and then planting it in a large, biodegradable pot and then stick it in the ground when it's safe to plant it outside. What do you more experienced gardeners think?

*edited to add that this is crossposted in the Vines/Climbers forum*

This message was edited Feb 25, 2007 4:17 AM

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

When my kids were growing up we had a farm near St. Johns, MI with a trumpet vine that completely covered an old windmill. It was beautiful. Hummingbirds love it. I have a friend now who is training one by pruning it up to grow across an old clothesline. Really interesting. They can be managed and not become too invasive. The species is the most vigorous and is bright orange-red. But there are now many hybrids available in colors from yellow to salmon to orange and red. Some grow faster than others, but you'd have to look up the variety you have.

In the greenhouse where I've worked we do soak bare root plants before planting. It doesn't hurt to add a few drops (deepending on how much water) of fish emulsion to the water. But not very much - don't want to burn the roots, just give them a little encouragement. Or use a plant starter solution to ease any planting shock. I would put it at least in a gallon size pot of some kind right away to get it started. Then plant it out when the grounds warm, after you've hardened it off. -- When I look at all the bare root plants available in the stores now I can't help but wonder how viable they're going to be once it's actually warm enough to plant them. If they sit there on the shelf that long! Better to get them now and get them growing in pots then to wait and let them dry out in the store!

Good luck with your Trumpet vine, it might take it a year or two to bloom, so be patient. It will be wonderful!
Jeane

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Be careful Trumpet vines are one of the most invasive plants there is.

Paul

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes they are, I have one and I can assure you, it is coming up all over my yard.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have the yellow one and im going to relocate it this spring!!!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I bought 5 trumpet vines from the conservation department last spring. I planted them FAR away from my house and gardens. I planted them at the base of smallish ash trees. I figure they can climb up them and after the dreaded EAB kills the trees the vines will give them a new look of beauty. That's the plan anyway. :) The trees are about 30 feet tall or better. I mow around all those trees so if any sprout up the mower will take care of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.