Where do I stand on the frugality scale?

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Since I was a child, I was always very careful with money, especially my baby-sitting money. Sis would take $5.00 and lay away five garments. I would buy old books and interesting thingabobs at the junk store.

Now, I feel as if I have landed in frugality heaven. My nearby library has wonderful movies which are purchased as soon as they become available on the CD market, even the great foreign movies that most rentals wouldn't have. They have great books on CD or tape. It is so wonderful to hear Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by McCall Smith read in a delightful accent and other books read by gifted actors or the authors- all for nothing.

In additon, I live near a grocery store that sells overstocks from other stores and gets produce directly from the farmers. It is so cheap that when I spend $10.00 I have several bags of groceries. Across the street is a Christian thrift store which sells all clothing for $1.00 each. When I feel like splurging, I spend $4 to $5 there, often getting clothes that are new. I have a huge wardrobe and having no business going in there any more. In addition, they get Costco baked goods BEFORE the sell-by date. These are free. I have had wonderful breads, cookies, pies and croissants too. My problem is that I have too much, never NOT enough.

As a gardener, my favorite pleasure is in propagation so I do winter sowing, starting seeds under lights, multiplying African Violets, Streptocarpus, Brugs, and any thing I really want any time I feel like it. I have multitudes of plants from a few leaves, cuttings, or seeds. I want for nothing, yet I do spend money on leaves for propagation and plant sales at the end of the spring growing season.

I recycle almost everything and have it picked up by the free county recycling trucks. My trash is picked up by the county twice a month and costs about $100 a year. I make sure that if a generic is available for my prescriptions, I get it. Two of my expensive BP meds will go generic this year, saving me tons of money.

We have so many museums, public gardens, and parks available that there is always someplace to go.

I am not saying that I don't make foolish purchases. I can't believe I bought from an infomerical:
Buy houses for pennies on the dollar, just pay the back taxes. (anyone want this for the postage?)

For a frugal person (or cheapskate) whichever you want to call it, life is great. This leaves me money to contribute to charities, socially responsible organizations, dozens of plants to give to friends, aquaintances, and even strangers. I cook from scratch, using all my great kitchen gagets: food processor, flavorwave oven, blender, breadmaker, hot air corn popper, pressure cooker, crockpot, microwave, etc. I can make stew or soup in the pressure cooker in 15 minutes. Why buy it?

I guess I sound smug and pleased with myself. I really don't boast much, but I am proud that I can regulate my income to my advantage and do things I want to with my money, not things that I think I have to do. I always pay any bills off as soon as they are due, and have the highest crecit rating. But really, there is nothing I want. I feel that I could give lectures to people who have a hard time financially and help them get out of debt so they can enjoy life.

For entertainment, my dear friend and I go in his car and drive into the country. We see all kinds of wildlife and beautiful wooded areas and our glorious James River as it winds its way from the mountains through Richmond. We have learned clouds and become involved in thier variety and beauty (and occasionally argue or what kind one is.) We study the sunset times and the dates of a full moon. We know where to drive to see the most spectacular sunsets. He has asked me to include the fact that it is HIS car and that my paltry few dollars contribution barely covers the wear and tear just to get out of my driveway.

I call my life "My little life;" not much is spent on hotels, airplanes, etc. But I am thrilled to be facing old age with such comfort and joy and security of my own making.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2007 11:35 PM

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!