Does the Topsy Turvy tomato Planter work?

Mannford, OK

Has anyone tried the Topsy Turvy Tomaot Planter? Does it work?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I've heard from folks here that it does indeed work well. I tried using a bucket for the same purpose and the handle broke under the weight halfway through the season, so if I were to do it again, I'd use the TT. Using the search feature, look for "Topsy Turvy" (in the Tomato Forum) and you'll get, lessee, 16 threads on the subject. Have fun!

This message was edited Feb 24, 2007 9:09 PM

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes. I grew a current tomato in one last year, and it did so well I purchased more 4 planters this winter. I used MG moisture control potting soil, extra coir, perlite, and homemade organic fertilizer. I think coir is important because peat is so hard to rewet if it goes dry.

The cheapest vendor I've found so far is Harbor Freight Tools @$15 each.

Sautee Nacoochee, GA(Zone 7a)

I dont knwo if thats the brand I have, but mine has worked OK for me.
You really have to be careful about keeping things watered. Moistuer control soil as mentioned is a great idea!
Ive grown grape tomatoes in it 3 year srunning now. Im not sure if its the plants, the planter , or my area - but they succumb to disease rather readily.
Im also supposed ot be able to plant in the top over the tomatoes, but that hasnt worked out well. Im going to try a new poting soil mix this year.

Nin

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

All of my tomatoes except the one in the T-T planter eventually succumbed to late blight.

Dover, NJ

I grew a couple of Celebrity tomatoes in topsy turvys last year, and they did OK. The Celebrities I had in Earth Boxes did much better. I think cherry or grape tomatoes would do better than regular tomatoes, but I still prefer planting in the ground. I did have a problem with one of the three "hooks" coming undone on one of my Topsy Turvies, but otherwise they were not a problem to use. I think the amount of soil that can be put in them is a little on the low side, and this may limit the growth and productivity of some tomatoes.

Mark

Mannford, OK

Thanks everybody for the feedback. It's been helpful.

Smyrna, DE(Zone 7a)

I had poor luck with these, and so did my mother-in-law. Both varieties I grew were blighted -- Celebrity and Brandywine. In it's favor, I should say the situation could have been helped with a site with more sun, but they do dry out very quickly. They were quite a lot of work to set up as well. I think I will stick with a regular container garden next time.

Mannford, OK

I think I'll pass on tring it this year. Maybe next year I'll give it a go.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Well I'm trying two plastic gallon size juice jugs. Cut the bottoms out, threaded the plant through the neck, put the green fiber around just above the roots and packed it so the tomato would be in the center of the neck. then put in the potting soil in the rest the way up. poked holes in the plastic for a hanger. Right now they are hanging on my plant rack, and the plant still wants to grow right side up. I imagine tho that as it gets grows and gets heavy, it will hang down. Now I need to work on where I want to hang them. I have the material already, for a roof over our patio. Just need to get busy an get it built.
My thought is that if I can shade the jugs and let the plants hang down in the sun, it may work. I am trying romas??? We'll see. Hope it doesn't just go to vine and no fruit. Oh well as I said we'll see!

Mannford, OK

Thanks RANDBPONDER. Let me know how it works.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hey sheeba I will make myself a note. I think tho that I will have to cover the plastic either by painting or with some foil or something to hide the roots from the sun. Will have pictures later too.

Manahawkin, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have considered trying this since I have a good place to hang them, and now a friends has asked me to research for her.

After reading a great deal I am wondering how this is an improvement on a nice big strong hanging basket (usually used for flowers) since the amount of soil is equivalelnt and since most users had their best and sometimes only sucess when growing small tomatoes?

Sunlight degrades the plastic in gallon jugs, it becomes very brittle in several months' time.

Paris, TX

I just use a hanging basket and put nicatinia on the top and it works great and pretty.

Kilgore, TX(Zone 8a)

Just received my 2 TT plants in mail! I heard they were great & I'm gonna try to Moisture Control soil. I hear the bags work well, but I'm also going to try homemade ones w/old hanging pots too! Raggins, I didn't catch all of thread, but what do you use to nicotiana for? Tomatoes? I do have one of those plants, if I can put it to use, great!

Paris, TX

I use just an ordinary hanging basket. I put the tomato in upside down then fill with potting soil and then planted the nicotinia in the basket. It looks great when both get to growing.

Kilgore, TX(Zone 8a)

Ohhhh. Very neat, so you don't just have an empty basket on top. I like that idea. That's one I'll try!! And it's space saving!! You don't have to take your other plants down or put in more hooks!! Great idea!!! Michelle

This message was edited Apr 13, 2008 3:25 PM

Clinton, MA(Zone 5a)

Hello,
I'm trying one of those grocery bags which is made of heavy-duty canvas that the grocery stores sell now to be more "Eco-Friendly. They aren't as expensive as the TT's and their canvas handles are reinforced with extremely strong stitching. These are also quite wide at the top so would hold basil or marigold or something similar. I will NOT be planting large-variety in this when first I try this year, but may next year if things work out. Just thought, after getting one from Church yesterday as part of an "Eco-Earth Day" handout....hmmm, this may just work and likely won't break! Hope this inspires someone. If lined with a layer of plastic part way up, it shouldn't dry out as easily either, I would think, but am not 100% sure.

Sincerely,
Thor

Kilgore, TX(Zone 8a)

Great idea! I'll have to try that too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.