What's everyone ordering for spring in the from of woodies?

Seems as if quite a few people have cabin fever so what's everyone ordering for spring?

So far I'm ordering three of each of these:
Alnus rugosa (Speckled Alder)
Amelanchier Laevis (Allegheny Serviceberry)
A. stolonifera (Running Serviceberry)
Amorpha fruticosa (Indigo Bush)
Andromeda glaucophylla (?)
Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Bearberry)
Aristolochia serpentaria (Pipevine)
Callicarpa dichotoma (Beautyberry)
Calycanthus fertilis (Pale Allspice)
Carpinus caroliniana (American Hophornbeam)
Chamaedaphne calyculata (Leatherleaf)
Comptonia peregrina (Sweetfern Sage)
Epigaea repens (Trailing arbutus)
Fothergilla gardenii (Dwarf Fothergilla)
Gaulthera hispidula (Creeping Snowberry)
Hamamelis vernalis (Vernal Withchazel)
Ilex 'Red Sprite'
Ledum groenlandicum (Bog Rosemary)
Lonicera oblongifolia (Swamp Fly Honeysuckle)
Morus rubra (Red Mulberry)
Ostrya virginiana (Hop-Hornbeam)
Prunus pumila depressa (Creeping Sandcherry)
Ribes glandulosum (Swamp Skunk Currant)
Ribes odoratum (Clove Currant)
Sorbus americana (American Moutainash)
S. decora (Showy Mountainash)
Staphylea trifolia (Bladdernut)
Ulmus rubra (Red Elm)
Viburnum rafinesquianum (Rarinesque Viburnum)

Greensboro, AL

Equil: You must have a lot of land to 'scape!

I have ordered a couple of understory trees: calycanthus florida 'alba' and magnolia 'leonard messel'. I would like to plant 'red jade' crabapple, but not sure about its southern limit. I have seen mature specimens here though.

I am still looking for shade trees for the south side of my house but the list keeps getting shorter when I add the criterion that they have to withstand hurricane winds and not interfere with sewer lines.

Hey Gloria,
5 acres here but it seems as if I'm barely putting a dent in the landscape after all is said and done. I placed a few more orders but already forgot what I ordered so I guess it will be Christmas in April and May when the orders start shipping out. Some of the plants won't survive. Many should. I'm ordering considerably more herbaceous perennials but then those don't necessarily count over here in T & S.

What picks are you narrowed down to for the south side of your house in the way of hurricane resistant that won't mess with your sewer lines?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

who would knowingly purchase and plant a Callicarpa dichotoma?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

So far, this is what I have ordered for spring delivery:

Ginkgo biloba 'Majestic Beauty'
Acer shirasawanum `Autumn Moon'
Fagus sylvatica `Mercedes'
Ginkgo biloba `Green Pagoda'
Larix gmelinii `Romberg Park'
Larix kaempferi `Schneverdingen'
Larix kaempferi `Tucek WB'
Pinus flexilis `J. Michael' #40
Pinus mugo `Fish Hook'
Pinus sylvestris `Jeremy'
Pinus uncinata `Braska #3 WB'
Pinus uncinata `Pixie'
Pinus uncinata `Xenie #24 WB'
Sequoiadendron gig`Blauer Eichzwerg'
Taxodium distichum `Peve Yellow'
Thuja occidentalis `Starstruck'
Liriodendron tulipifera 'Ardis Dwarf'
Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

And I have a few perennials coming from a Dave's Co-op that I joined.
Mike
(p.s. Is it Spring yet???)

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Levilya, I not only have American Beautyberry, I propagate it for more plants. Many people in my area love the plant in a natural, woodlands setting. The birds will even eat the berries, after awhile. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

Nice line up of plants. Where are you ordering your Ginkgo biloba `Green Pagoda' and your Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret' from?

Adding a few more that I ordered that I missed-
Celtis occidentalis 'Alba' (Whitebud)
Oxydendrum arboreum (Sourwood)
Sanguisorba canadensis (American Burnet)
Sassafras albidum (Sassafras)
Viburnum x burkwoodii
Wisteria frutescens 'Amethyst Falls'

Say peony, I bet you have the straight species. They really are deserving of their name aren't they. I saw a few that were planted in combination with other species in a semi circle with a break to allow people to enter a small garden where statuary could be found in and amongst dense plantings. It was really attractive and inviting.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

As a former GW member used to say: "Spellcheck on Aisle 3!"

The preceding post probably meant to list Cercis canadensis 'Alba'.

Among the adoptees headed to the Valley:

Ilex verticillata ‘Jim Dandy’
I. v. ‘Johnny Come Lately’
I. v. ‘Shortcake’
I. v. ‘Quitsa’
Malus ‘Cranberry Lace’
Malus ‘Satin Cloud’
Malus ‘Silver Cloud’
Malus ‘Sinai Sunset’
Viburnum prunifolium Crimson Robe™

Can never have enough fruiting species around.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Equil,
I am getting the 'Peve Minaret' from Klehm's Song Sparrow Nursery http://www.songsparrow.com and I am getting the 'Green Pagoda' from a wholesale conifer nursery. If you're a member of the conifer society you can order from them. I can Dmail the info to you if you're a CS member. Minimum order is 10 one gallon plants OR 15, 4" plants (per box). I am getting a box of each since there were plants offered in each size that I wanted. The 'Green Pagoda' is only offered in the 4" pot size.
Mike

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new and hope you don't mind me joining. Mostly, I'm into vegies and fruit, but this winter I decided to add more shrubs & did alot of research before placing my order. Most of the trees & shrubs that I've planted in the past were to attract birds. I feel much better about all of the shrubs that I've already ordered after viewing your lists. However, I'm not done ordering yet.

Sambucus "Black Beauty" -- Azalea "Golden Lights" -- Cornus Stolonifera "Artic Fire" -- Fothergilla Major
Physocarpus Summer Wine -- Hydrangea Quercifolia -- Salix Melanostachys -- Syringa Patula "Miss Kim"

I've still yet to purchase: Aronia Melanocarpa "Autumn Magic" and Hamamelis Vernalis.
Wish list: Hydrangea Paniculata "Limelight" & too many others to mention. I need a larger yard! LOL : )
I'm still contemplating whether I've space for Lindera Benzoin. I saved some seeds that I've kept refrigerated all winter. I know that I've got a lot of holes to dig; including the raspberries & blackberries I've ordered. My biggest challenge will be to keep my 3 dogs from digging them back up. I plan on putting welded wire fencing around the shrubs until established. Wish me luck!
A storm last spring knocked over my crabapple tree that fell on & smashed the cranberry bush. The bush survived, but required heavy pruning. The crabapple tree came back from a sucker which looks quite nice. At least it doesn't look like I'll have to replace these two.

Betty

That's a little bit beyond a "Spellcheck on Aisle 3!". More like an entire taxon check.

Actually ordered-
Celtis occidentalis (Hackberry)
Cercis canadensis 'Alba' (Whitebud)

edited to add-
Hello and welcome to you Betty. Three diggin dogs? You are in good company in the dog department although digging in my yard is one dastardly deed mine haven't done... yet.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2007 9:41 AM

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Shows you how where we live affects our plant thinking - never really thought of someone paying for Hackberry. E-lady, on your next trip to Florida, stop along any Alabama two lane blacktop and take all of the Hackberry seedlings you can transport. I have Hackberry trees on my woodland property, separate from our residential property, but I had to cull them to limit the number.:)) Thanks for the new plant ideas!

Fulton, MO

For now, I plan only a trip to Joplin, MO to get some nice 6' 'New Harmony,' 'Valley Forge,' and 'Princeton' American Elms.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi Betty,

Thanks for joining the discussion. That's an impressive list. It's obvious you did your research!

Being in a budget crisis, and really not knowing if we are to remain in our present home, I haven't placed a single order yet this spring and probably won't (and it's killing me)!

I do, however, have almost 200 different species of seeds in pots, so I'll have no shortage things to look at, grow on, plant, and trade. I think I'll wait until I get germination on stuff before I post a list.

Scott

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I think I need to intercept that shipment heading to Treelover. Is that Sequoia going make it in MN? My list of plants ordered already include:

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'
Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eye'
Acer palmatum 'Katsura'
Pinus banksiana 'Pendula'

I have not yet begun to order.....

Willis

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I always order on site. I cannot buy dry roots. They take too long and my patience is limited. So I will decend on nurseries in Seattle area in 1 month when the ground thaws. Oh I am a impulse byer so I only plan on a few cornus before I get there. A couple of Cornus Alterfolia, Cornus Kousa, and I am hoping to find a Cladrastis lutea. This will set up in a dry area. I understand this tree is tolerant of drought? What do you smart people think? Hey Vagrant Visionary?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey, how come nobody mentions me by name when seeking out the counsel of smart people? Sofer, I think that Cladrastis kentuckea (correct spelling--see how smart I am! :) ) is pretty solid in dry conditions, at least once established. It is native to limestone bluffs and ridge tops. And a fairly quick grower too. I've been growing it for years in the garden and in pots, and have never noticed any moisture stress. You, also, have D-mail.

Scott

I've got a considerable amount of experience killing Yellowwood. I've killed many Yellowwoods for many years. If you're going to try that tree, you might want to start it from seed or try to look for the smallest one you can find to buy. They haven't transplanted well for me when purchased as saplings or B&B. Your zone 4 seems iffie to me so you might want to look for a protected site. You might be on the fringe of its hardiness there. It may very well be tolerant of drought after it is well established but I've had too many flops to get to that phase as of yet to know. I now have three that are holding strong here entering their third year that were grown from seed so I am going to order three more 12" saplings from a different seed source and I'll plant them in the general vicinity of where I planted my seedlings. Mine seem to like full sun and moist well drained locations. Full sun and well drained seems to be the key for me over here. I'm just happy I have three making it right about now.

Hawthorne, FL(Zone 8b)

Abies religiosa -- killed my last one but I want to try again; I suspect it's too hot here for too long
Rosa sericea v. pteracantha -- Wingthorn rose, deer ate my last one to the ground and then it died
Sambucus nigra, some ornamental cultivars, some for fruit
Sambucus cerulea
Acer saccharinum cv. "Sweetsap" -- I miss the weedy silver maples of my boyhood in Illinois, and this variety is supposed to have more sugar in its sap than most sugar maples
Sorbus aucuparia, mostly cultivars selected for edible fruit

I have seeds of various species of Eucalyptus, Melaleuca (not the one banned in Florida), Acacia, Prosopis, and Allocasuarina that are supposed to be able to endure zone 8b, and I plan to plant some this year.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Scott...you should be named SP 2....naturally SP 1 will always be the smartest.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Willis,
Probably not, but a dwarf Sequoiadendron will be easier to protect than the full-size tree. (:o) The cultivar I ordered is also blue and I believe that blue (and yellow) conifers are hardier than the plain green versions (I seem to remember reading this somewhere.) I like to really PUSH the hardiness zone thing and will try most anything at least once.

Equil,
I purchased a 6'+ 'Perkin's Pink' yellowwood in the spring of 2005. The tree flowered for me last year and there are a number of the straight-species yellowwoods growing in the Twin Cities area (for many, many years) so I would guess that yellowwood is completely zone 4a hardy. I'm not sure why you have had so many problems?

Sofer,
What do you mean by this statement?: "I always order on site. I cannot buy dry roots." Are you referring to buying bare-root stock? None of the plants that I have ordered will be bare-root. All will be shipped in pots.

In the beginning I am convinced it was size however I misinterpreted some of my failures to improper siting. I lost a few B&Bs that were looking pretty darn good when they were delivered but they never made it through the winter. They were healthy when they arrived and deader than a doornail by the next year. Then somebody mentioned to me that they seemed to have better luck when they bought smaller Cladrastis. Then another person mentioned that they had lost quite a few larger specimens they had bought and that they had one hanging on that they had purchased in a gallon pot that was under 12" and that it was planted in the same spot they had planted one in that they lost that had been considerably larger. The little one made it through the winter for them. I lost all of the next batch of saplings I bought that were about 5' but then I also started playing around with siting and had them in windswept unprotected lower elevations of the property close to the wetlands. I am relatively sure they don't like wet feet. The next batch of saplings I could have lost to poor siting but more likely to drought. I think I've gone through a sum total of at least 20 of these before I decided to have one last go at them from seed with the intent that any seed that germinated would be planted in the original areas chosen that were sunny, moist, and well drained. I got a really good germination rate from the seed so I gave all but three away figuring I'd just kill them over here again so might as well pass them out. All three that I planted here from seed I germinated myself are fine. They range in height from about 18" to just over 2' now. I have them in Miracle Tubes.

Orwell, VT

Here is my list of trees and shrubs that I will be planting this spring. Various oak and hazelnut hybrids will be added later.

Illinois Everbearing Mulberry
Reliance Peach
Veteran Peach
Dolgo Crab Apple
Whitney Crab Apple
Chamberin Butternut (seedlings)
Turkish Tree Hazel
Korean Nut Pine
Kaza Northern Pecan (grafted)
Pawnee Northern Pecan (grafted)
Colossal Chestnut (grafted)
Bouche de Betizac Chestnut (grafted)
Layeroka Chestnut (seedling)
Marigoule Chestnut (grafted)
Precoce Migoule Chestnut (seedling)
Skioka Chestnut (grafted)
TO613 Chestnut (seedling)
Sleeping Giant Chestnut (seedling)
Skookum Chestnut (grafted)
Montmorency Pie Cherry
Kristin Cherry
Northstar Pie Cherry
Radiant Rose Dogwood
Satomi Red Dogwood
Cornus kousa (seedling)
Highbush Cranberry
Carolina Rose
Winterberry Holly
Red Oak
Swamp White Oak
Bur Oak
White Oak
American Sycamore

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

All of you are extremely fortunate to have the room to plant all your wish list biggies.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I agree, the only plants I've ordered are 3 jujubes. I'd like to add alot of other trees (maybe a persimmon, more Japanese maples, apricots or quince, elderberries, viburnam), but I have a limited amount of space. In order to fit in new trees, I'd have to remove some mature trees- several lg. maples (1 Norway) & a scrub oak. But it's a dilemma to remove some perfectly healthy, large trees just because they're not what you'd like in that space-I haven't been able to do it yet....

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I used to think the same thing about beautyberry: what's all the hubbub? Then just this past fall a friend and I were walking a neighborhood particularly rich in unusual materials for Minnesota. He show me a bush so full of berries that I am almost a convert. (That pinky-purple color just doesn't set right with me.)

Interesting about the yellowood. The oldest ones at our Arboretum are 30-40 years old, and they are planted between two hills where it stays wet after every big rainfall, and well into the spring. I never said they were stellar looking though.

David, are you getting two Turkish tree hazels? They are not self ffuitful. Although . . . maybe it will pollinate from one of those upcoming hazel hybrids?

I am not buying much woody plant material this year. So far:
Buxus microphylla 'Kingsville' (for troughs)
Larix kaemferi 'Tucek WB'
Picea abies 'Vermont Gold'
Pinus albicaulis 'Nana'
Pinus parviflora 'Arakawa'

Peoria, IL

VV,

where are you picking up the Malus ‘Silver Cloud’? That's definitely not a run of the mill crab. This whole thread has been a real eye-opener!

Regards,
Ernie

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Wow I was out in the garden and missed all of this discussion. First Scott you are one of the Higher beings and I am too humble to address you directly. Maybe with a burning bush we could converse. I have had the pleasure of meeting the Vagrant Voice box and he is only from Olympus and I can understand him. I find him a face I can remember and humbly seek his wisdom. But now I shall no longer be selective and thank you for your gracious offering to we lowly mortals of your Cladrastis kentuckea. Seriously you have to know how much your knowledge surpasses our growing minds. I love the variety and beauty of your arboretum. Thank you Scott.
OK now Treelover I like to select the shape, future expression, evaluate root development and nature of plant quality when choosing a woo-die. I think that when you order over inter net you might get something recently placed in soil but not grown in soil for very long. I usually buy woodies at the end or middle of season to take advantage of the lower prices available to us in Montana's dry summers. I have only ordered 3 trees over inter net and all of them came to me bare rooted and in moist sawdust. Tell me where to get that quality tree in a good 3 to 5 gallon pot.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

You folks sure know how to give people a bad case of plant envy! This is my year to add natives, including the following:

Aesculus parviflora
Aesculus pavia
Calycanthus floridus
Chionanthus virginicus
Clethra alnifolia 'Ruby Spice'
Cornus alternifolia
Fothergilla gardenii
Halesia tetraptera
Kalmia latifolia
Leucothoe fontanesiana
Lindera benzoin
Styrax americanus
Viburnum dentatum 'Red Feather'
Wisteria frustescens

Plus a couple dwarf conifers and native azaleas, whatever looks good at the nurseries. Found a nursery specializing in natives that's only 45 minutes away: hurray! Can always order online later if the nursery's plants don't look good in person.

Does anyone know if styrax lives up to its reputation for colonizing freely? I'm trying to hide a propane tank, and would love to see it colonize its little heart out...

Treelover, where did you order the dwarf sequoiadendron? Sounds beautiful, if it would survive here.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I am currently starting these from seed:
Celtis laevigata
Chamaecyparis thyoides
Cyrilla racemiflora
Diospyros virginiana
Fagus grandifolia
Hibiscus spp (Confederate rose)
Nyssa sylvatica
Pinus elliotti
Quercus alba
Quercus macrocarpa
Sabal palmetto
Tilia americana

I also have a few hybrid chestnuts that I ordered for Oikos, a few Carya ovata that LuckyP sent me, and ten Pinus palustris that the local paper mill gave me.

Thornton, IL

Hmmm, ya'll have way deeper pockets than me. I do have an extensive wish list that includes an amelanchier, a hardy bamboo plant and a contorted filbert. I plan to add more small conifers, to beef up the winter interest in my borders. And I completely agree with Steve's opinion, I would not tend to buy a tree or shrub over the internet, just a personal preference. For me, going to a nursery is like reaching mecca, and I am still way too excited by all the potential possibilities. I have also been told to buy a plant in flower, to evaluate fragrance or color, or in fall, if the fall foliage is a factor. What is your opinion about that?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Regarding buying a plant in flower? Usually that's a bad time to transplant. Not that I haven't done it plenty and seldom with problems, but with woodies it is generally considered better to transplant while dormant.

Scott

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Leftwood, I agree with you about the beautyberry..I LIKE it......

Thornton, IL

Yes, therein lies the rub. So what do you, buy it and let it go dormant before you unwrap it and plant it? Except for fragrant plants, which I can completely see the point of buying in full bloom (some stink, some are heavenly), does it really matter? Does the scent ever change?

Here's an interesting link, seems that under scientific conditions, there is no difference in fall color between various cultivars of amelanchier. Making me wonder how much is spin, a perceived difference when there is really no evidence of one. Beam me up Scottie.

http://www.acornfarms.com/acornfarmsamelanchiercomparison.htm

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

PG,

If you're buying a cultivar you're familiar with, and know the fall color and the fragrance, try to buy it at an optimal time to transplant--spring or fall. If its a seedling grown plant and a fragrant one at that, say, Chionanthus virginicus or a non-clone form of Calycanthus, try to buy it in bloom. If it's in a container, you might as well take it with you and plant it. If it's B&B, you might consider asking the nursery to hold it for you until fall when it goes dormant. If you are buying a cultivar you are unfamiliar with, say a witchhazel, more or less the same thing, but it is best if you can get familiar somehow--through visitations at an arboretum or at least through reading--first. Fragrance, especially, is a relative thing. Some fragrances certain people detect, others not. Likewise, some fragrances certain people love while others detest.

Callicarpa dichotoma is by far the worst self-seeder in my garden.

Scott

Thornton, IL

What are the non-clone forms of Calycanthus (lazy aren't I)? That is one I would really like to get someday. Do all the same cultivars of witchhazel, say all the Arnold's Promise, smell the same? I have heard not, so that is why you should buy it in bloom? Plus, what is ideal and what won't kill the plant with proper aftercare, are two different things. I know that for me, the right time to plant, is when the Price Is Right, LOL.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Amen. But not quite. I could care less of the fragrance of my 'Arnold' because I was able to by 2 spectacular specimens at Medina nursery. Having many to chose from allowed me the primary choice IE bushing, vs upright tendency. I wanted each shape (on hand visualization also allows to see pruning activity) and price. They were on sale. Though I have purchased 3 trees from Gossler Nursery and 2 of which they sent me a pictitorial choice. This I liked. I am getting into plants that are unknown to my area and like the Yellowood I want a clay loving deciduous that might excell with unique color every other year. I don't want to ammend the soild of the perimeters of my native meadows and these choices allows success. Not expecting this to invade here (too dry and no other cultivars present) I shall watch for this tendency. But few exotics are invasive here in the land of Eden.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

The reason I buy via mail order, is that the plants I want to buy are not available in local nurseries. I would sure like to hand-pick each plant that I put into my yard, but the local nurseries just don't carry these plants. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. I do buy plants from local nurseries, but the vast majority of my plants have come via mail order.
Mike

Thornton, IL

Mike - You are probably a gourmand.I'm still over in the chips aisle, LOL.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Gourmand. WOW!!!!! I'm just here to get some woody plant ideas, and I'm increasing my vocabulary. Every once in awhile you get an extra perk in this forum. It really is interesting to see the different woody plants that people in different regions like. OK, so I just use the "met" form of the word. Still neat to see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.