alfalfa tea- HELP

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I plan on going shopping shortly and thought that I would look for some alfalfa to make alfalfa tea. I know there's a link around here somewhere telling me how to make it and what kind of alfalfa to buy. I've used the "search" but hasn't helped me out. Anyone know where to look?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I found this by doing a Google search http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/2294/

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I found mine at the feed supply store....or if you have a farm co-op they might sell it there. Should be about $7.50 a 40 or 50 lb bag. I definately paid too much at $9/bag but the feed store owner brought it to me at Master Gardening class, so I guess I paid for the convenience.

I had intended to add with the fall mulch but found that my dogs were chomping it down as fast as I was laying it out, so I have resorted to tea, kept out of their reach. It does get kind of stinky but my plants LOVE it.
carol

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm sure you have been warned but let me tell you, no warning is strong enough to even begin to describe the smell of this! I made some last year then I got busy and had to let it sit for like 2 weeks. Mine was just alfalfa in water in an open bucket in full sun. It smelled so bad that I thought the neighbor's would come and complain. I couldn't even bring myself to spread it out anywhere so I ended up just trying to dump it out around my trees. Just beware! It was funny after the fact but gagging me doing it!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I just went to the feed store that I use to go to as a kid (ok, that's been awhile). They're out of business. What a rip! They use to have the dyed baby chicks for Easter and ducks that were so cute when they were small but grew up quickly and made terrible house quests.
Guess I'll look somewhere else.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

If you let the alfalfa tea go too long it does smell horrible! (as in rotten) at that point you have lost some of the good stuff, but it's still usable.
Another thing I noticed about the linked recipe, they add Fish Emulsion to the tea at the beginning.
There is no reason to brew fish emulsion with your alfalfa tea... that will only attract flies and add to the smell.
If you want to add extra stuff to your tea, add it just before using.

Dove

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh my...fish emulsion and alfalfa. Blech! It sounds like a good revenge for an annoying neighbor tho! ;)

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

*LOL*
I agree, I don't know whose idea that was but it's a bad one.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Ugh! A very bad idea. I made the mistake of adding fish emulsion at the beginnings of my first ever batch of tea last summer. The stink lasted for days and my DH will not let me forget it. Even when I just use plain alfalfa he goes round the yard holding his nose. LOL

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Some people are very sensitive to the smell... It doesn't really bother me unless I leave it too long and it get over ripe.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Boy, it must not bother you if you can call that "over ripe"! LOL! The words: RANK, ROTTING, DEAD all come to mind when I think of mine. ;)

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree that the smell is horrid...fresh or ripe but the plants seem to love it....as do my dogs.
carol

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

*LOL*
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't think it smells much at all.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, very "ripe" alfalfa tea smells pretty bad, but my plants love it & grow beautifully, so the positives out way the negatives in my opinion. However, I have to keep it covered will it is ripening because my dog tries to drink it.....YUCK!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I've heard the same from other people, my big old Australian shepard isn't the least bit interested in it.

I couldn't agree more, the good out weighs the bad many times over

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I was babysitting my DD's little dogs last week and the littlest one was trying to drink it too. lol

I'm with Dovey, I don't think it stinks that bad either. Maybe it's the west coast brand that doesn't stink!! haha

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I think dogs think alfalfa tea is some kind of magic elixir. I have the same problem with an old horse trough that gets full of rain water and loaded with algae. The dogs think its special treat water and I have to keep that drained....but my plants also like that water too. I suspect both are full of trace minerals and is good for all living things if you can take the live bacteria that comes along for the ride. I won't be drinking any! lol
carol

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I have my first batch of alfalfa tea all brewed! It's all foamy and gross looking, but it doesn't stink. It's cold outside, so I brewed it in the basement in a 5 gallon bucket (with lid).

I just bought the little alfalfa pellets from the farm and feed store. I bought 10 lbs for just under $3. I used 3 handfuls of pellets to 5 gallons of hot water. (I cupped my hands...and I have fairly small hands).

I can't wait to see how this works!

Michelle

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

The nice thing about the horrible smell is that it dissipates quickly. The longer you brew it the stinkier it is.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

MsKatt,
It sounds fabulous! That's the perfect time to use it, while it's good and bubbly and before it stinks too bad.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

When do you apply your first application of the tea for the season?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I start using the tea in the spring, as soon as it's safe, meaning as soon as I know there isn't going to be a hard freeze that will damage the tender new growth.
In my zone, I've been using it for about a month now. We've had a few nights that hit below 32 degrees, but it warmed up in the day and wasn't a hard enough freeze to damage anything (even the newly planted tomatoes were fine)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Well then maybe I will give my plants some Easter -tea! We have had some cold nights but warms up by mid morning.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Sounds perfect...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.