Does anyone grow a heuchera indoors?

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I don't even know if anyone has tried. I posted on another forum and was told that most heucheras need to go dormant in winter, and therefore could not survive for long indoors. But I've also read online that some DON'T go dormant, but can find nothing on the internet about anyone attempting to grow them indoors. I'd like to find a small grower that has nice colors (love the blacks too!) is easy for a beginner, and that doesn't lose its leaves in winter and try growing it indoors. Any suggestions? What do you think?

Randi

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I have never tried but as to them going dormant in the winter,in the ozarks I would call it semi dormant. I have heuchera that have been leafed out all winter.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

I'm not sure whether they need dormancy like a hosta does to perform it's best, but I notice that most of the heuchs put on their best colour in the cooler weather, so I'm thinking an indoor location could hinder their best looks. Hmmm, won't know unless we try though. Good luck.

Sandy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Randi,
Never thought about it. Heuchs are semi-evergreen, so maybe it would work. It's worth a shot.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I might have been lucky this time:

I was late planting some of my potted Heucheras into the garden last fall, so I kept two indoors. So far both have survived. Neither grew over the past several months; they seemed just to "hang in" there, in a state of stasis, if you will. One of them was beginning to get limp when I put them outdoors about a week ago. Both seem to have perked up (but they'll be back inside as tonight's temp will do down below freezing.)

One is a green variety (with red flowers and thrives in sunny conditions; it was dug up by a critter last summer, which is how it ended up in a pot). The other is a dark red variety that almost got scorched to death after the shade tree came down (and hence ended up in a pot).

I asked for advice last fall. And the consensus seemed to be that Heucheras would do better outdoors. Both my potted Heucheras will be planted in the garden (soon). But, wouldn't it be great if we could keep some inside knowing they'll survive on a regular basis?

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Way to go, Blue Ash, that's how we learn new stuff, is by giving it a whirl. At least we know they'll survive, if not thrive indoors. Thanks for posting.

Sandy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Yeah, what Sandy said! lol

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Our local botanical garden keeps them in their tropical green house year-round. They bloom regularly and look great. There are a lot of species of Heuchera from many different areas of the country, so I would guess that some do better than others. It looked like they were some hybrid of H. americana.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I keep a photo journal of plants I like/see. That variety is H. 'Silver Lode' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/32466/index.html.

This is a photo of the actual plant being grown year-round in the tropical green house.

Thumbnail by willmetge
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Food for thought, willmetge, I always thought it was the cooler weather in spring and fall that triggered the more colourful foliage in the heucheras, but now I'm wondering whether it might be just the shorter daylight hours?

Sandy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I have two that I bought in BC over Christmas. They seem to be happy under indoor lights. Bit of new growth, not much, but they are growing, not croaking.
inanda

Toledo, IA(Zone 4a)

HI i grew some from seed -dales strain and palace purple select--i only planted about half outdoors as my bed was full---left the rest in 5oz cups all winter and only watered them occasionally--around january i planted some in large plastic bowls about six per bowl--they started growing and are very healthy looking and large--i will probibly plant them out when i plant the purpurea i started this winter--lookin great--the ones i didnt plant in a larger containr are dead or stunted looking from neglect--5oz cups are pretty small tho--purpurea gave me a nice variable assortment from deep purple to streaked veins several shades to several tricolored- definantly worth the money --stevo

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Seaecho,

If you go to the TNN sight and look up heucheras you can get information on each type they grow. It tells you if that particular variety needs dormancy or not in order to bloom and/or grow. Seems that some do and others don't.

MollyD

Unfortunatley, the beautiful Mocha Mint I got at a local garden center is not looking good since I put it outside. I am in the high desert, and the soil often gets 108 degrees in summer, and 100 even a few inches down. Very few plants can survive in my environment. The only thing I've had luck with so far is cactus and irises. The Mocha Mint is limp as of today (its only been outside for a few days - bad sign, I would think). I've added potting soil to my sandy soil and keep it moist around the plant, and it only gets morning sun. Otherwise its pretty much in the shade. Its still in its pot as I didn't want to plant it in the ground right away, assuming that would be too much of a shock. Can I mist it? Should I give up heucheras in my area? Thanks

Randi

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Randi,

If your heuchera is still in it's pot what use is keeping the soil around it moist? That moisture may not be reaching your plant at all. I'd suggest either put it in the ground or bring it back inside to a shady spot where it gets fresh air. I suspect your plant is dying of thirst!!

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.