Micro-hydro

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have a spring with a pretty strong flow although not much fall. I'm thinking of putting in a submersible water turbine just before the overflow pipe (18" diameter) empties into the creek. The spring is seldom muddy except when there's a heavy rainfall and it gets surface run-off.

I haven't measured the GPM flow yet... there is a willow tree growing just at the pipe exit. The willow has to come down because it has split up the trunk for about 8 feet and is leaning close to my bridge.

I'm thinking that I would NOT need a bank of deep cycle storage batteries for excess electricity since the spring runs 24/7... although I'm sure in late summer the flow is less. I wouldn't take my house off the grid but it would sure be nice not to pay so much for electricity.

Anyone else contemplating micro-hydro... or doing some?

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!