re planting cannas

Paris, TX

I dug up over crowded cannas in the fall and left them in my greenhouse this winter. I would like to use them in a new flower bed. When do you plant them.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Hi raggins
I think every one are still asleep .
Because I`m from Aus.
I can`t answer that question .
But another question often asked is what way do you plant your corm ?
Any way . I have put them upside down and they just do a 180 deg. under ground and still come up .
Only take 1 day longer than the ones that go straight up . Any way that`s my experience .
Others may dissagree . But that`s Fine too . Kell

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Good morning.........yawn!

Cannas are planted after danger of frost has past. Not sure when that is for ya'll. I plant mine in April, and all thru summer.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

When the soil warms up its fine to plant them. As long as they don't stay too wet before the soil warms completely they should be fine any time now in your zone. Here, I have to wait till May- they just won't do anything if planted sooner because the soil is too cool still. If you see anyone elses cannas starting to grow in your area, you know its time to get them in the ground.
Neal

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

In zone 9 I plant them anytime, even in winter.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Mine are already starting to come up! I checked around my mothers yard last week and found about 12 different ones already coming up there too. Temps have been in the 70's the past few days... not today.. currently 48 and the wind is about to blow us away.. been blowing a lot the past few days but today is the kicker currently 40 mph gusting to 52... wheeeeee! Good thing the cannas are only about 3 inches high right now.. otherwise, they would be flat on the ground.

Tammie

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

last year my cannas withstood 60mph winds without a problem, they are a very sturdy plant.

Tipton, IA

in iowa, i plant mine now, in pots to give them a head strt, then when frost danger is past 15 of may i plant out side, all do well, i have a spare room thank goodness....

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

rockrun
Got room for a Border ???

Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Dividing and replanting my cannas.

I started 5 years ago with one rhizome of Centennaire of Rozain Bourcharlat and optimitistically put it in an 18 in plastic pot. It has gradually mulitplied and at the end of last summer it burst the pot!! This year I have a few leaves and shoots so I know those parts are alive, but what about all the rest? The rhizomes are still firm (not mushy or rotted from the winter) and have roots but the skins seem darker on these than on the ones that have recently sprouted. Do I have to find a growing point or will any part even a part that has sprouted last year sprout again this year? I'm planning to take some to the garden club swap at the end of Apr, but just wondering if it's worth the effort to repot these non sprouting sections?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Definitely worth it. You never know about canna. As long as they aren't mushy or smell bad, they should be fine.

X

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine are Blooming

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

so are mine

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

No fair! LOL. I still can't plant mine yet. Everything is droopy with the freeze we are having. Have to wait til it leaves then hurry up and plant them.

I was hoping for early blooms this year.. this is what my cannas look like right now... took this a little while ago.

Tammie

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh Tammie!
You'd better hit the canna co-op too.

MollyD

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i don't have cannas (yet)....but looking at tammies...does that mean they are dead? i live in west texas also and we got killed by snow....; so do cannas need to be dug up every year? or do they come back (if it doesn't snow)?

they will come back...even the frozen ones in the picture. the ones I managed to keep under the sheets in spite of the blowing winds during the night look fine and even the ones in the pictures already look like they want to grow. Of course everything above ground with snow on it is dead ...

Hey, stitck_n_stones... Where is Crosbyton TX? Must be south of me since you are 7a zone. I just got started in cannas last July. They should do fine for you.

Tammie

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

lhasa....actually i am north of you....and 45 min east of lubbock....; wierd the way those zones work....; i hope to get started with cannas that are shade tolerant....my front yard is entire shade....but sort of cottagey...

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Zones 5-6 are you seeing any growth on your cannas yet? I wanted to move mine somewhere else and I think that cold earlier this month got them. I saw growth after the ice storm in January but not now.

I left some in the ground to over winter and no sign of growth in those, don't know if I will or not. I also just planted canna seeds in pots Sunday, am waiting on those to come up.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

how long does it take for canna seeds to come up?

I have no idea!! LOL

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

my type of gardener!!!!LOL

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I think I saw one little red point on my cannas last night, maybe they lived after all.

Hope they did. I need to check mine. It would be cool if they do come back up.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I noticed the blackberries have big buds on them so I am not going to plant or move anything until after they bloom. It's supposed to be 48 for the low next Saturday, I bet we get a frost next weekend or the first part of the next week. They don't call it "blackberry winter" for nothing.

LOL. I have heard we will have another frost. Just don't know when yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.