Anybody know anything about Green Sand?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I just recently heard about this stuff - seems there are 2 kinds.. One is a natural type that is only found in a samll area in New Jersey. The other is a man made version . It is supposed to be a great soil additive, a type of natural fertilizer. It is sold in some specialty nurseries. Just wondering if it is really worthwhile.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't used it but I'm tempted... There's supposed to be deposits in Arkansas and parts of the U.K., too. It's also called glauconite. I think it might have something to do with why NJ was called the garden state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensand

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have a 30 year old Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening by Rodale Press. It said they had yet to find any value to Greensand for organic gardening which is a surprise when you consider how much of it is sold to organic gardeners each year.. Maybe something has been discovered since, but I can provide the exact quote if there are any doubters.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It's pretty simple stuff, it's just sand with potassium... and a few other minerals, like iron and magnesium. I wonder why they say that.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is my favorite site with organic minerals...which does have "Texas GreenSand" and it pretty much does say on the back...'iron potassium silicate' .
The downside is - if your local nursery doesn't carry the products, you have to go through amazon.com
http://www.greensense.net/
With all that's out there..it looks like the plant industry has caught up with people and vitamin industry...They count us experimenting. I only have my own shelf in the garage to attest to that!

Rj

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

"Greensand" is not really green or sand. It's glauconite, a nearly black mineral mined from old sea deposits, with the best stuff supposedly coming from New Jersey. I have heard that the Texas deposits don't make as good a fertilizer, but I have no first-hand experience with it.

Greensand contains potassium, iron, and a host of micronutrients in slow-release form. The brand I buy has particles smaller than ordinary sand, so I also use it as grit for my earthworm bin. If it's available locally, try to buy a 25-lb bag or larger, as the little garden store boxes are very pricey. If it's not available locally you might be able to get a nursery to order a bag for you, as they may be able to get a discount on shipping. It never goes bad, isn't bothered by moisture, etc., so it stores indefinitely.

For faster release of potassium and trace minerals, I use kelp meal. For my homemade organic fertilizer mixes, I sometimes use both greensand and kelp meal.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well there ya go... good to hear from someone who's used it.
It's use here came to my attention as an amendment to battle the clay soil.

Now kelp..seaweed..that's great stuff. !

Peoria, IL

I've used it but not in gardening. Its used in water treatment for iron and managanese removal.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

It is great for the roses...I add it in the spring with urea, rosetone, and epsom salts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.