Dangers of including Nightshade family in compost pile?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi! Someone I respect (on the North East forum) has cautioned about tossing members of the Nightshade family (tomatoes, eggplants, squash, and cucumbers) onto the compost pile. The problems can include introducing Fusarium and Verticiliium (sp?) wilt, and well as MANY unwanted seedlings into the garden where the compost is incorporated. I have been merrily putting ALL these veggies into my pile. Should I cease and desist?
Thanks in advance,
Emily

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Putting diseased plants of any type in your compost pile is not a good idea, as the diseases can spread from your compost to new plants.

Tomato seeds can pass all the way through a sewage treatment plant and still sprout, so you can get 'volunteers' in your compost.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I agree Johnson, but the theory put forward was that even healthy nightshade greens should not be compoted. Like Emily, it's a person I respect too. Anyone have info?

Peoria, IL

I disagree. Putting diseased plants into your compost will generate a microherd capable of decomposing that disease, thus potentially providing an innoculent to that disease in your compost.

I compost pumpkins, cucumbers and squash including their vines all the time. Haven't had any problems...

I do get an occaisional sprouting seedling from my compost, but its just more greens to add to the pile after they sprout... I have had potatoes and pumpkins sprout from my compost pile. They just get turned back into the pile to decompose better.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I came across this little teaser from the Washington Post garden writer. Look at the second question and see what he says about composting no-no's. Interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/05/AR2005080500747_pf.html

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, victorgardener, for that link to the Washington Post writer--he said that composting plants from the nightshade family "could lead to fungal build-up" in the soil. Does he mean Fusarium and Vermicularium Wilt? I am a novice here, and know very little, but want only the best for my compost piles. Even though they are presently completely frozen!
--Emily

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, those are the fungal diseases in question.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have composted tomatoes with no problem, but I wouldn't if they (or any other plant) were obviously seriously disease ridden. The only apparent result is an occasional tomato volunteer here and there.

For any plant which has seeds which I think might be problematic, like weeds or very prolific reseeders like nicotiana or melampodium, I cut off and trash the seed heads and compost the rest of the plant. If I think the roots might grow, I let them fry in the sun for a couple of days before adding to the compost.

Karen

Peoria, IL

Most everything that one reads about composting is geared towards the inexperienced home composter and it includes alot of don'ts as CYA's.... if you are new to composting and starting your first pile, then its probably a good idea to stay away from the don't list... but once you have created compost and have a feel for it, then you could test the limits and maximize your benefits.

Most diseases that plants get are already in the air and the soil and certain conditions will stimulate their ability to do damage. However, its totally logical to me that adding diseased plant material to compost will create a microherd capable of consuming that disease, thus generating a natural seletion process to keep that disease in check in the future.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think that all compost piles have many fungal agents in them and Fusarium is just one. I would think in an aerobic pile of compost the fungal pathogens thrive and that is what composts the plant material. But this is only an assumption. I have used large amounts of tomato debris in my compost and besides getting tomato plants in the beds I have no problems. Understand that I garden where fungus is only around in the fall winter. Too dry in the growing season. Roses thrive here and they often get wet on the leaf. So I am not a fusarium fretter.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I compost all my plants too, and I have no disease problems.
Josephine.

Peoria, IL

One reason that we compost is to create a microbiology in the soil that is diverse such that no one disease (or fungus) can dominate. All soils have the potential to carry fungals or viruses, but a healthy soils will carry enough other biota to keep the bad ones in check.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

The original source of the nightshade info was from Ralph Snodsmith the WOR radio garden guy (in New York). I emailed him about healthy nightshade plants and his response was:

"They can possibly be infected with Verticillium and Fusarium blight that might inoculate the compost with the problem. So, I just don't add them to the compost pile."

If I understand some of the pros here, you believe the composting process would handle any problems and that diversity is important to compost. Am I correct?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Every media that can grow organisms requires that various micro media will grow different organisms. I have not cultured my compost with different carbon/nitrogen media but I do know that after turning the pile it is hard to tell what is what and that is showing the bacterial/fungal diversity. No pure culture can survive on its own without a fixed environment. This never occurs in a compost pile or a gut, or a lung, or a soil, or a .......

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

in that Washington Post Q&A, he mentioned potatoes --

what about the potato skin? my neighbor adds to my compost - and this past Christmas she put a lot of skins in there -- i can smell them as i walk past...

Peoria, IL

Potato skins are an excellent addition to the compost pile.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks joe....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.