Arborist

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am looking for an arborist to come check out my yard. Is there such a person on this list - or does any of you GA gardeners know of one perhaps.
In order to renovate and reshape the yard I gather one needs an arborist to check on ones property before you take trees out. Correct? Now below picture is the front yard, which has tons of trees. I'd like minimize that a bit, out back it's different but have a problem with 2 trees.
So, if anybody knows of one, Id be happy to hear about him/her. Thanks.

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Contact a tree service if you want some removed. If you have some trees that need pruning and rejuvenation then you'd be better off with an arborist in my opinion. Not sure what the difference is between the two but what I've seen on TV is the arborist has training on trees, their health, and what is best for mature trees whereas anyone with a chainsaw can say they are a tree service.

You can cut any tree on your property but make sure you know your boundaries. I limbed up an oak at our last house which was on the line and I trimmed the limbs on my side to boot and got into a small argument with the neighbor after he found out. Hard to believe he'd even care since their backyard was an eyesore. I pointed out the fact that this tree had actually been cut down before the houses were even built to mark the corner posts. It had suckered back up and made a fairly nice tree but some of the lower limbs were dead or dying.

Your county also has arborists on staff.

GGG

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

One differance in an arborist, and "a tree service", is just what the name implies.An arborist,looks at the landscape value of the tree, and how to improve the situation, to make the area stand out with nice well developed trees with a reasonable future, by sugesting whitch ones were of no value to the property, and should be removed, and whitch ones can "build the landscape".(I was one) What appalls me is the ones that show up with a chain saw, an $800.00 truck dripping oil all over your yard, and driveway,with a complete dental chalenge, and try to talk people into taking out perfectly good trees,( whitch are convenant for them to get to), and telling the land owner these need to come out.Fine,give me a valid reason, as to why they need to come out, then watch them find excuses. Sorry to ramble,touchy subject. Mike

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Check with the town to see if you need a permit, here I need a $25 permit and the city ok to cut a healthy tree that is more than 6" in diameter at 4' above ground.
Chris

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I had 16 trees taken down this past year and the stumps ground as well. The tree service says they will try to take care of your property but don't believe it. Make sure you move everything you value in the way of plants before they start doing any work. The good thing is having the amount of work done in a couple of days. They will take everything away if you want them to but I had them leave all the chipped wood. It is great for paths and mulch.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

What you're saying Chris, I have read somewhere, think that is applicable to my area (Dunwoody/Doraville) Dekalb County. Just going thru the websites is hard. My husband tried to call the county too, it seems everybody is referring to someone else! We will continue searching/reading the websited again, I guess.
Thanks for all your input/ideas guys.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

call code enforcement for your city
good luck

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Try the County extension office in your county. http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/extension/
Sorry I've forgotten how to insert a link. Becky

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We finally managed to get thru and talk to someboday. Same site.Thanks Beclu727,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.